Bolt Option instead of Hidden clip/Trim clip

Bryn23

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Well i was about to recess the hidden clips into my panels, and i had a few issues with removing a template that i used as a test.

The hidden clips are a real pain to get off and i also broke quite a few..

Now i started thinking, its quite a pain when the recessed hidden panel clips break of as the head is stuck within the carpeted panel.. i only tried on a small panel, the larger panels with mid/centre fittings will be an issue.

So i started to think out side the box, I'm already using rivet inserts to fix my cabinets into the chassis, what if i used a JCB (Joint Connecting Bolt) as the panel holding fitting...

Yes it is no longer concealed, but they do have a slight industrial feel to them which would look different and don't look as cheap as black plastic trim clips.

400x400_DEMON625E.jpg

I'd have to strip the brass coating, as the removing brass coating is easier than nickel coating to enable a satin black finish to go with my black carpet lining. (can't find black electro coated JCB here)

The M6 bolt has a Head of 17mm so it gives good coverage and if i want to remove the panels in the future it is easy, as well as enabling the bolts to add other items such as D hooks

Example IMG_6702.jpg It looks as this guy has used 9mm button head hex key requiring a washer to clamp down the D hook, I'm not a fan of the nickel plated washerIMG_6701.jpg

Id have to reverse the 4mm insulation closed cell foam i was going to put on the panel, to the rear as the JCB would compress the foam on the carpeted side and give me a dimpled affect that i don't like.

I was just thinking some more, if i wanted to keep the insulation on the internal side as planned i could use a shouldered nylon washer to stop the bolt compressing the foam and giving it a dimpled affect.

could be an option...

s-l500.jpg

thanks snoop, not really wanting to use Velco,

but i can see how it has its uses.

I have the panel lugs on the sliding door were Velco would be handy, as panel trims would interfere with the curtains.

Where did you get the fitting from? I'm after something similar to tie stuff down.

I had to source mine here in Australia,

But they are available in the UK

M6 x 30 Florentine Bronze Plated Joint Connecting Bolts

Joint Connecting Bolts

They are just called "joint connecting bolts", that we use in bulk manufacturing furniture pieces for quick knock up furniture.

They are on Ebay UK as well, if you don't have access to trade suppliers

I can buy them through my suppliers in bulk, just had 200 of them turn up today, now I'm just waiting on my Rivnuts to arrive.

If you are talking about the Tie Down point, then you will be chasing a D ring tie down with one bolt hole.

tie down d rings x8 heavy duty in black horse box trailer building | eBay

Just remember that if you use a racket strap on a localised area with these, it will pull in the wall with enough force.

Have I got this right? You're using a bolt to fasten your panels onto the side walls of the van?
How do you attach the nut?

You use a rivnut, i used M6 rivets that required a 9mm hole, which meant i had to enlarge the existing chassis plastic trim holes by 1mm.

i drilled them out and collected the swarf with a vac and then primed the hole, the rivnuts were inserted with my rivnut tool.

i can also use the panel rivnuts to bolt my cabinets in.

Back