black trim detailing / restorer

JasonW

VCDS User
T6 Legend
What products do people rate for keeping the exterior black plastics such as the grille and bumper trim clean and looking new.

I use autoglym vinyl + rubber or Bilt hamber Auto QD.. I’m a closet Yorkshireman dont like spending money both products have multi purposes :laugh:

What products do people rate for keeping the exterior black plastics such as the grille and bumper trim clean and looking new.
I used Gtechniq C4 on my wife's mini cooper S a few years ago. The car was 8 years old when we bought it and the plastic trims, including wheel arch trims, needed a little love. It needs some care when applying, prep needs to be good and it's best done indoors if you have somewhere, unless you can guarantee dry, still weather for 12 hours, but the effort is worth it, it is incredible stuff. You'll look at the qty and the price and think it's expensive, but I applied it shortly after we bought the car and when we sold it 18 months later the plastic trim still looked brand new without any further application during that time period.

I've used gels and creams from various manufacturers over the years, including most of those already mentioned in this thread and they are all good, but they all need regular application to keep the plastics looking at their best. That's not necessarily a problem, but for me, the one time application of something like C4 wins.

Gtechnic C4 @ Clean your Car

I’ve used an old Turtle was clear spray jobbie, although I apply it with a brush. Works well on tyres and black trim and it’s been looking shiny and black for 2 weeks now.

C463C8A5-0ACB-43E4-A2B5-F9794F863EC7.jpeg

CF019A26-0036-465C-8197-C7CF0AB9CCC7.jpeg

FF0BC3F3-1F45-4F2E-B172-3122485E22AD.jpeg

Thread merge
what detailing product do you use to keep your black trim looking good?
I used Auto Glym bumper and trim Gell last week, looked great after application but its all worn off already.

Last edited by a moderator:
more info here:

The Autogylm gel needs to be applied in light layers. Once a week for 3 to 4 weeks for the best longevity. It's no good if you just dollop it on. It needs working evenly into the texture of the plastic. It's all I've ever used on my Mk2 Golf. That looks like new, as opposed to over dressed sticky goo.

Believe it or not but Teak oil brings the black back and it stays black ! Done this many times. The reason the black trim goes lighter is that the oils in the plastic disappear over time. Teak oil restores this very effectively.
Better that anything else I’ve tried

Back