Bird Etching

Killo

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi has anybody have problems with bird etching, if so how do you cure it. Hopefully get the bus booked in next week for full detailing.

I have PPF on my bonnet to prevent this, next door's BMW left some on his 7 series for 2 days and it went through the clear coat!

Last edited:
I have PPF on my bonnet to prevent this, next door's BMW left some on his 7 series for 2 days and it went through the clear coat!
Thanks was thinking about having that done, it’s the smallest drop on the bonnet but we’re away at the minute which is annoying.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks was thinking about having that done, it’s the smallest drop on the bonnet but we’re away at the minute which is annoying.

PPF is brilliant, but very expensive. I have issues with stone chips, and our local company wanted £500 to just cover my bonnet.
You might find that your detailer has to flat and polish out the damage the plop has caused.

PPF is brilliant, but very expensive. I have issues with stone chips, and our local company wanted £500 to just cover my bonnet.
You might find that your detailer has to flat and polish out the damage the plop has caused.
Thanks mate it’s not much just my ocd when I got the bus it had 10,000 miles on and not a mark on the bonnet worth getting it sorted right.

Air rifle, chainsaw, pet exterminator . . . . Might be cheaper . . . ( chuckling to myself now, totally me being silly, and my opinion and not that of the forum or its official legal opinion.... Apparently now it's illegal to shoot any bird! The father in law is a pest controller and has had to get special permits and licences since last year to deal with those pesky creatures.)

To do what?

I've heard of people removing dents that way, but if you think a hair dryer will heat up lacquer to a point where it becomes soft enough to self heal, I don't see that possible on modern paints.

I've seen it mentioned a few times on various forums, it does appear to work or at least improve things considerably.

Not sure it heats up the lacquer or burns off the etching?!

I've got a better idea. Pop round to mine, we can wash your van, and then hold a hair dryer against your paint to see what happens :whistle:

My paint is bloody awful, would probably improve it. I've got actual pits appearing, going from the outside in, looks like the paint is melting, possibly our friends at the local handwash using wheel acid instead of soap. :rolleyes:

Back