Biodiesel?

My dad had a brand new transit a few years ago his employer insisted they used biodiesel as part of their 'green' credentials after 2 years it killed the engine and the van was written off due to the cost of a new engine!

Does it no say on the inside of the fuel flap "no bio-diesel"? It'll destroy the DPF, which is made from all sorts of precious metals, and I'd sure not want to be shelling out for one, it'll be 4 figures. VW will not pay for it either as you'll have invalidated the warranty.

Too much biodiesel will rot the seals, it's a very fine balancing act when they blend in the min gov standard.
So any "kit" you buy won't cater for that.

I've run various cars and vans on bio, all from brand new without any trouble.

Things to consider,

If you've got a DPF then don't do it.
Make sure your bio is made properly and the result is high quality. This takes time, practice and patience.
It can be a messy business, be prepared for a dedicated production area.
Despite what people say, it can be dangerous. Nasty chemicals.
Obtaining decent veggie oil these days is more difficult and you will probably require a waste transfer licence.
If your vehicle has reasonable miles already then you will end up replacing the fuel filter a couple of times due to the cleaning effect of the bio.

Once you have got the process sorted though it is easy, doesn't impact on your time and relatively safe.

Do I still make it, no.

Why, well you cannot avoid the fact that life is too short to be messing around with waste oil and most new diesel vehicles have tech on board that will likely be destroyed by using bio.

Just my thoughts :)

Back