Bike bottle cage on gear column cover?

I want to fit a bicycle bottle cage in the front of my 2017 T6 manual 6-gear trendline.
The easiest convenient location is as shown. It would involve drilling 2 off 3mm holes and using self tappers that would protrude 2 to 3mm on the inside.
I would rather not strip it all down. Can anyone tell me if there is anything very close in behind the cover that I need to be careful of, or is it really risky?
If it is not practical, can anyone suggest a better place to mount it (non-anatomical answers preferred...! ).

20210922_095037.jpg

There is space in behind that panel, pop the cover off the lower fuse panel and you can put your finger in behind.

I doubt self tappers would be a good long term bet especially holding 1kg in the bottle carrier. I would drill the holes as you say but then use a screw with a nylock secured at the rear. I reckon you could get it tight enough holding a small socket over the nylock with your fingers reaching through the fuse Box access panel.

It’s unlikely that a future buyer will want the bottle cage or the two holes.
How about making a backing plate for the bottle cage and using HD Velco?

I want to fit a bicycle bottle cage in the front of my 2017 T6 manual 6-gear trendline.
The easiest convenient location is as shown. It would involve drilling 2 off 3mm holes and using self tappers that would protrude 2 to 3mm on the inside.
I would rather not strip it all down. Can anyone tell me if there is anything very close in behind the cover that I need to be careful of, or is it really risky?
If it is not practical, can anyone suggest a better place to mount it (non-anatomical answers preferred...! ).

View attachment 130914
@Hobbo posted some cup holders yesterday from 3D innovations might fit your Bottle
pxl_20210921_105943395-jpg.130831
pxl_20210921_110001728-jpg.130832

@Mud Digger do you have a link to where I can get one of those 3D printed cup holders?

Did a quick Google search, but it was all information management companies under 3D Innovations.

Thanks in advance.

Back