Bigger Tyres Question...

KombiKommando

Dogger
T6 Guru
Going from 215/65/R16 to 225/70/R16. How much will this raise my roof hight on my standard suspension kombi???

(Thinking about those pesky hight barriers.......)

If my calc is correct it will increase the side wall height by 18mm so 36mm overall. It is 6am though and I’ve not had coffee so might have done that wrong.

Am I missing something?
He's going from a 65mm sidewall to a 70mm side wall..

So the van would sit 5mm higher. Due to the additional 5mm rubber between the floor and the lower edge of the wheel rim? Push in the chassis up 5mm.

Am I missing something?
He's going from a 65mm sidewall to a 70mm side wall..

So the van would sit 5mm higher. Due to the additional 5mm rubber between the floor and the lower edge of the wheel rim? Push in the chassis up 5mm.

The profile number is the percentage of the width, not the size in MM.

What size do u suggest buddy? I'm going down the swamper route... any advice would be great fully received.
The general advice is max 3% but a more aggressive tread pattern that runs down the side wall a bit like new BFG's will help give the look of larger tyre.
Some of the more aggressive tyre patterns are not speed rated but again its your choice.

The general advice is max 3% but a more aggressive tread pattern that runs down the side wall a bit like new BFG's will help give the look of larger tyre.
Some of the more aggressive tyre patterns are not speed rated but again its your choice.

Cheers buddy! Mmm what a quandary! Now I'm thinking stay with 215/65/R16 but just go for the more aggressive tread pattern..... mmmm. Decisions decisions.... what y'll think?

No idea.
I spent a day refurbing the wheels, that I'd spent another day fetching, and then fitting tyres to then learn my 204 has brakes that are meant to stop a boeing 747, so they didn't fit.
They did look very chunky against the side of the van if that helps.

The wheel size is.

215/65/R16

So 215mm wide / 65mm height / 16 inches rim diameter

The letters before and after are special demoniators like load and speed rating etc

The wheel size is.

215/65/R16

So 215mm wide / 65mm height / 16 inches rim diameter

The letters before and after are special demoniators like load and speed rating etc
No.

215mm wide / 65% of width high / 16”

The second number is a %, not mm

Correct. That why I was trying to figure out just how much a /70/ side wall would lift my van.... lol

Just re-checked my first post and I made a slight mistake (I doubled the increase but realised now that I have woke up you only need to include it once)

215/65/16 = 215x65% = 139.75mm side wall
225/70/16 = 225x70% = 157.5mm side wall

Therefore your van will sit 17.75mm higher than before.

According to willtheyfit.com the speedo error will be -4.92% which is within the advised 5% so that is ok too. I dont see an issue with you making that switch. Not sure what the braking issue would be as its the same rim and it currently fits over your brakes.

Just re-checked my first post and I made a slight mistake (I doubled the increase but realised now that I have woke up you only need to include it once)

215/65/16 = 215x65% = 139.75mm side wall
225/70/16 = 225x70% = 157.5mm side wall

Therefore your van will sit 17.75mm higher than before.

According to willtheyfit.com the speedo error will be -4.92% which is within the advised 5% so that is ok too. I dont see an issue with you making that switch. Not sure what the braking issue would be as its the same rim and it currently fits over your brakes.
If you increase the overall diameter the braking force required to stop is increased, not the ability to fit the wheels over the brakes..

If you increase the overall diameter the braking force required to stop is increased, not the ability to fit the wheels over the brakes..
The increased diameter will mean that the van is going faster than the speedo is indicating but the ability to stop should not be affected i.e. the speedo says 70mph but the van is actually going 5% faster so 73.5mph. The van will be able to slow down the same way it would as if you were travelling at 73.5mph on the orignal tyres. Yes the braking force is greater as you are travelling 5% faster than indicated but its not exactly out of spec. If you had the original tyres on and were travelling at 80mph it would be greater still.

It's basic physics, the greater the lever the greater the force applied.. That is why all the tyre comparison sites recommend staying within 3.5% of original size for braking and gearing etc.

Speedo error is just another artifact of going bigger..

Back