Bi-Fold roof bed - how does it work?

Epic-Rob

Kiwi member
VIP Member
T6 Guru
OK so i have seen roof beds that have like a double hinge at the back so you can get the bed board pretty much hard against the roof, allowing a bit more head room above the rear seat.
hinging it is the easy part but can you get it to work with the one gas strut either side or do you need to put 2 either side??

Would be interested to hear from anyone that has done it and maybe a few pics of the set up.

I also have a cunning plan to lower the bedboard by about 20mm so it sits flush with the internal roof. this is not for asthetics its so i can leave a bit more bedding in the roof when its closed.
my austops roof seems to have just enough room for the thin mattress and maybe a sleeping bag, any more and the roof wont sit down properly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hmmm..interesting question. I thought mine had only one but in fact it does have two looking at a pic...not sure if it would work with just the one...must be there for a reason. ;)

IMG_2723.jpeg

Hmmm..interesting question. I thought mine had only one but in fact it does have two looking at a pic...not sure if it would work with just the one...must be there for a reason. ;)

Do you have to pull bed forward as you lower it? or do you just pull down on front?

The bi-fold usually comes on the swb but it works just as well in a lwb.
If it's bi-fold then it needs 1 gas strut and 1 solid strut on each side. If you are doing it diy you can use a strong gas strut as the solid strut. I used a mk4 golf tailgate strut.

Having popped one of my struts off and the bed board nearly fracturing my skull lol I’d go with two also stops twisting when using it @JOG not the type of twisting you do to your jive bunny LP

Having popped one of my struts off and the bed board nearly fracturing my skull lol I’d go with two also stops twisting when using it @JOG not the type of twisting you do to your jive bunny LP
Visions of @Niknak popping his strut! The mind boggles

TBH im not really sure, it looks it in the pic, pretty sure it is ....ill check.

Back