Best Passenger Captains seat /swivel combo

Mudbug

Afternoon all...Any tips re the best Captains seat with or without swivel base to look out for ? Any better than others and why ? Looking to replace my bench with swivel for a single seat and realise there are a few variants . Happy to buy secondhand and get covered to match mine . Cheers

Afternoon all...Any tips re the best Captains seat with or without swivel base to look out for ? Any better than others and why ? Looking to replace my bench with swivel for a single seat and realise there are a few variants . Happy to buy secondhand and get covered to match mine . Cheers
Actually I’m in same position so I am too interested in feedback

If I recall correctly, the factory swivel means you lose height adjustment, but might not rattle or squeak. Aftermarket ones seem to...but I don't have either!

I've fitted Sportscraft swivels under standard VW height adjustable captains seats without any problem. For the drivers side the best option is to have the handbrake bracket lowered (removed from the seat box and welded back on lower down) and trim the bottom off the plastic cover.

Rotating the seats only requires them to be at a level so that the plastic seat skirt clears the seat box and the handbrake is off (in gear) to rotate the drivers seat.

There are two versions of these swivels, a normal and one with the swivel centre high enough to clear a leisure battery under the seat. Jennings seats are one of many supplying these swivels

That's great thanks . Had a look at the Jennings site and it certainly looks the part . The rest of the van is in black Simora fabric so may have to factor in the cost of retrimming the seat against finding a secondhand option that matches ( although it will be pricey I'm sure ) .

Loads of info on here comparing swivels

Thanks again . I think there's almost too much information !! Some might be dated too so I think maybe I need to find a shop / guru to use / trust . I guess like in my business , if you work in the industry too, you keep upto speed with developments as part of your day to day work .
I need a one stop shop to upgrade my van with the following :
Replace swivel bench with swivel captains seat with recline / height adjustment etc
Replace current Slipstream RnR bed with RIB Altair bed for ease , space etc
Recover all seats and bed with current VW Simora fabric or more probably a leather type upgrade .

Any ideas who can do it all in house with supply of seats/bed /fabric or any retailers on here interested ?
Cheers

I've fitted Sportscraft swivels under standard VW height adjustable captains seats without any problem. For the drivers side the best option is to have the handbrake bracket lowered (removed from the seat box and welded back on lower down) and trim the bottom off the plastic cover.

Rotating the seats only requires them to be at a level so that the plastic seat skirt clears the seat box and the handbrake is off (in gear) to rotate the drivers seat.

There are two versions of these swivels, a normal and one with the swivel centre high enough to clear a leisure battery under the seat. Jennings seats are one of many supplying these swivels
Hi rod_vw, I wondered if you could provide some help. I've purchased a Jennings passenger seat with the lower base box and sportscraft swivel, VW T5/T6 Captain Seat Passenger Side | Swivel Seats and SPORTSCRAFT VW Transporter T5/T6 Passenger Single Seat Swivel However, I cant work out how you fit the seat with adaptor plate to the top of the swivel as it will foul the handle. PSA photo. Do you have any ideas? Thanks

IMG_1647 (2).jpg

Sorry mate I can't help as I've never used those parts. I have always fitted Sportscraft swivels to original VW seat boxes. The slight rise in height is no problem to us.

Hi all....I recently purchased a passenger captain seat and swivel base from Jennings. The seat is quite noisy and moves quite a bit. After inspection it looks like the runners have quite a bit of play in them and are the cause.
Has anyone any experience of this.

Hi James
Fitted mine yesterday and had a slight bit of movement in the seat as you said, I just had to tighten the bolts supplied with the seat properly in the seat runners, all ok now , just have to remember to raise the seat each time when I rotate the seat as the plastic skirt on the seat catches, would be ok if the passenger is a bit on the taller side as the seat wouldn’t be in its lowest position , mrs a bit on the short side, apart from that no rattling or flexing don’t forget to inform your insurance and change details on the V5 DVLA

Back