Bed options for using front seats in Caravelle

BigDean

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Afternoon all,

I have a Caravelle conversion in my T6.1. We prefer to have the single seats for our 2 grandkids in the back rather than the 3 seater bench seat. This allows us to be able to walk through from front to back accessing kettle/toilet in the back.

Occasionally the missus and I would like to sleep in the van, so was looking at the possibility of swivelling both front seats, folding the 2 single rear seats down and coming up with some kind of board over the top and a blow up mattress. This would then allow us to keep all our stuff as is in the rear.

Have looked at all the usual suspects but cant see that anyone has made anything than "unfolds" over the single seats, in to the pax/drivers seats. Amdro look like they are the closest, but dont use the front seats. I appreciate the front seat squabs are lower so would need something to bolster up.

Similar requirement to @Captain Rick on this thread: Caravelle 3 seat settee used as a bed but using the 2 singles not the 3 seater.

Anyone done this / any ideas before I start designing something?

Thanks
BigDean.

Have you considered:
  1. Move the second-row single seats backwards, and fold them forwards/downwards to horizontal.
  2. Recline the front single seats backwards/downwards to horizontal (i.e. as opposed to rotating them).
  3. Then cover both with 'some kind of board and blow up mattress'.
Note that:
  1. This would make better use of the space to the front
    (i.e. right up to the steering wheel on the driver side,
    and right up to the dashboard on the passenger side).
  2. The board and blow up mattress could be 'stowed' up under the roof when not in use.
  3. I don't know anyone who offers such a solution, but would be interested if you find one.

Have you considered:
  1. Move the second-row single seats backwards, and fold them forwards/downwards to horizontal.
  2. Recline the front single seats backwards/downwards to horizontal (i.e. as opposed to rotating them).
  3. Then cover both with 'some kind of board and blow up mattress'.
Note that:
  1. This would make better use of the space to the front
    (i.e. right up to the steering wheel on the driver side,
    and right up to the dashboard on the passenger side).
  2. The board and blow up mattress could be 'stowed' up under the roof when not in use.
  3. I don't know anyone who offers such a solution, but would be interested if you find one.
Thanks for that @TimK,

Just went out to try the front seat all the way reclined. Unfortunately this no only gives even more different levels to negotiate, but also would worry about any street on the backrest. With nothing to support it, and it being the "highest" part of the setup, don't think it would be man enough for the job.

So current thinking is:

Front seats rotated
Second row seats facing forward in regular position (not "folded" over)
2 wood table/structures that meet both of the 2 seats, that will be very sturdy.....
Vango 200x70 mattress over each

The only concern I have at the moment is the height difference between the 2 seats. The rear ones are about 50mm lower than the front. Maybe could just use a cushion or something under the mattress or may need to extend the wood platform to make up for it.

I am going to mock something up in MDF and if it seems to work, design it properly in CAD and get it CNC made in 15mm Birch Ply.

If it works, I will be selling them!

Any other comments welcome.

Here is mine. ( All done by the converter)
From this:

View attachment 126581

to this

View attachment 126582
Thanks for that. Yes, I have seen that layout and if we decide to go "full camper", would be going for this layout. Autohaus I know do a Camelot with this layout. Do you find those bed comfy/do you use a mattress/mattress topper on them?

What we are trying to do at the moment is use the seating we have to just use for the odd night here and there (Like T6 forum get togethers!). We have a motorhome for full on camping trips.

Thanks for your input.

Mine is a Camelot Grandi - LWB, built to my specs. The beauty of the seats is that you are sleeping on the backs of the seat and backrest not the surfaces that are in normal use so they are completely different to sleeping on most seats that don't flip upside down.
I suffer from arthritis in every joint, toes to eyes, and cannot find any sleeping surface that is comfortable so cannot judge as a normal human!

Mine is a Camelot Grandi - LWB, built to my specs. The beauty of the seats is that you are sleeping on the backs of the seat and backrest not the surfaces that are in normal use so they are completely different to sleeping on most seats that don't flip upside down.
I suffer from arthritis in every joint, toes to eyes, and cannot find any sleeping surface that is comfortable so cannot judge as a normal human!
Not a bad guess then :thumbsup: I actually went to buy one from them, but I walked out when they increased the price £5k from the phone call a day earlier! The owner admitted his son had lied to me!

Thanks again for your input.

Thanks for that @TimK,

Just went out to try the front seat all the way reclined. Unfortunately this no only gives even more different levels to negotiate, but also would worry about any street on the backrest. With nothing to support it, and it being the "highest" part of the setup, don't think it would be man enough for the job.

So current thinking is:

Front seats rotated
Second row seats facing forward in regular position (not "folded" over)
2 wood table/structures that meet both of the 2 seats, that will be very sturdy.....
Vango 200x70 mattress over each

The only concern I have at the moment is the height difference between the 2 seats. The rear ones are about 50mm lower than the front. Maybe could just use a cushion or something under the mattress or may need to extend the wood platform to make up for it.

I am going to mock something up in MDF and if it seems to work, design it properly in CAD and get it CNC made in 15mm Birch Ply.

If it works, I will be selling them!

Any other comments welcome.
Thanks for the response. Some clarfications:
  1. I was assuming that you would be deploying 2 boards (one for each side); each 2000mm x 700mm; each with a 2000mm x 700mm mattress.
    I was assuming that the boards would have their own supports from the floor; holding the whole board clear of the highest part of the seats.
    Therefore, I was not concerned with flatness, levelness or sturdiness.
    I believe that it is impossible to get flatness, levelness and sturdiness by conflating seating-comfort and sleeping-comfort.
  2. I was assuming that you wished to keep the rearmost edge of the whole seat/board/mattress assembly as far forward as possible
    (i.e. to maximise the uncompromised space behind that rear-most edge).
    With that assumed requirement in mind, I believe
    that getting the front-most edge of the board right up to the dashboard
    would gain perhaps 300mm when compared to my understanding of your proposal,
    and that getting the rear seats completely under the rearmost edge of the board
    would gain perhaps another 300mm when compared to my understanding of your proposal.
Have I misunderstood your requirements?

Thanks for the response. Some clarfications:
  1. I was assuming that you would be deploying 2 boards (one for each side); each 2000mm x 700mm; each with a 2000mm x 700mm mattress.
    I was assuming that the boards would have their own supports from the floor; holding the whole board clear of the highest part of the seats.
    Therefore, I was not concerned with flatness, levelness or sturdiness.
    I believe that it is impossible to get flatness, levelness and sturdiness by conflating seating-comfort and sleeping-comfort.
  2. I was assuming that you wished to keep the rearmost edge of the whole seat/board/mattress assembly as far forward as possible
    (i.e. to maximise the uncompromised space behind that rear-most edge).
    With that assumed requirement in mind, I believe
    that getting the front-most edge of the board right up to the dashboard
    would gain perhaps 300mm when compared to my understanding of your proposal,
    and that getting the rear seats completely under the rearmost edge of the board
    would gain perhaps another 300mm when compared to my understanding of your proposal.
Have I misunderstood your requirements?
Thanks again.

Ideally those assumptions are correct, but looking at the height a board would have to be at to make it flat, I think we will have to forgo the 300mm extra length to be around 200mm lower.

The height would make it, I think, quite claustrophobic.

I will mock things up when I get time and try and take some photos.

Thanks again.

Ideally those assumptions are correct, but looking at the height a board would have to be at to make it flat, I think we will have to forgo the 300mm extra length to be around 200mm lower.

The height would make it, I think, quite claustrophobic.

I will mock things up when I get time and try and take some photos.

Best wishes. Do keep us all informed on progress.

Back