Caravelle 3 seat settee used as a bed

I've been converting a 2016 T6 Caravelle into a camper. Got the furniture sorted in the rear and now concentrating on the bed. Using rear facing front seats with the 3 seater bench opened out as a bed - but it isn't very flat!
IMG_1468.jpeg

The front face of the 3-seater is at least an inch too high (on the right hand side of the photo above) so I wonder if anyone has worked out how to make it lower. I think it can be done with some complicated cutting and welding of some of the underseat support brackets but is there a simpler and more obvious way?
Here's what the bed looks like. Its not a bad size at 150cm wide (much better that the usual layout when you have furniture all down one side) and 190cm long on the drivers side and 180cm long on the passenger side

IMG_1469.jpeg

I'm hoping that someone will have some good ideas on making it flatter!

Reactions: CAB
Or by swivelling the seats sideways I can get both sides of the bed 10 - 15 cms longer at the expense of the bed being narrower at the foot. Still no solution to the non-flat bed, though

IMG_1475.jpeg

Reactions: CAB
Sorry, cant help on the bed. My PV is going in for a Caravelle conversion later in the month. Will be watching with interest.

Did you make the rear units yourself?

All the best
BigDean

Get a custom made topper mattress made to level it off. Try this company, give them a drawing of what you want and get a quote, they are reasonably priced.
It looks like it will need some tapering but should be possible, they have decades of experience.

Last edited:
Hello @BigDean. I cheated somewhat by buying a couple of 'pods' from Clearcut Conversions in Bridgwater. One had a a combined 2-burner hob and sink and a 50 litre fridge, the other no appliances. As you will have seen in the photos that has all changed. The Caravelle is not the place to start with a conversion as it has so much interior trim which can seriously get in the way. Most converters prefer to start with a stripped out van. I decided to leave the Caravelle trim in place and work round it. I also originally wanted to have a 'walk-through' solution but as we progressed with the fit out I realised that we would need 5 seats and that I could use the Caravelle rear bench as part of the bed, thereby having to give up on the walk-through facility. I wanted to fit a loo (older people need them!). So having started with the 'pods' and buying an extra couple of full panels of faced furniture board I dismantled the 'pods', and rebuilt them in different configurations to fit my needs. This allowed me to fit them neatly into the Caravelle so that it could all work as I had wanted. Here's a picture of the loo in it 'to-use' position:IMG_1477.jpeg

In relation to the bed, thanks for the comments @DXX. I've now been in touch with a local Caravan and RV trimmer, Regal Furnishings in Ilkeston, and hope they might be able to help. Failing that I'll follow your suggestion

Hello @BigDean. I cheated somewhat by buying a couple of 'pods' from Clearcut Conversions in Bridgwater. One had a a combined 2-burner hob and sink and a 50 litre fridge, the other no appliances. As you will have seen in the photos that has all changed. The Caravelle is not the place to start with a conversion as it has so much interior trim which can seriously get in the way. Most converters prefer to start with a stripped out van. I decided to leave the Caravelle trim in place and work round it. I also originally wanted to have a 'walk-through' solution but as we progressed with the fit out I realised that we would need 5 seats and that I could use the Caravelle rear bench as part of the bed, thereby having to give up on the walk-through facility. I wanted to fit a loo (older people need them!). So having started with the 'pods' and buying an extra couple of full panels of faced furniture board I dismantled the 'pods', and rebuilt them in different configurations to fit my needs. This allowed me to fit them neatly into the Caravelle so that it could all work as I had wanted. Here's a picture of the loo in it 'to-use' position:View attachment 101818

In relation to the bed, thanks for the comments @DXX. I've now been in touch with a local Caravan and RV trimmer, Regal Furnishings in Ilkeston, and hope they might be able to help. Failing that I'll follow your suggestion
Thanks for that. We are having a pair of rear seats as well as the 3 seater so haven’t decided on what layout to go for yet. The walk though idea will work for us when using as a day van, but if we camp, then the 3 seater.
I want it all modular so can change dependant on requirements. Unfortunately my carpentry skills are very limited
We will see once the rails are in
Thanks for your info.

I've been converting a 2016 T6 Caravelle into a camper. Got the furniture sorted in the rear and now concentrating on the bed. Using rear facing front seats with the 3 seater bench opened out as a bed - but it isn't very flat!
View attachment 100150

The front face of the 3-seater is at least an inch too high (on the right hand side of the photo above) so I wonder if anyone has worked out how to make it lower. I think it can be done with some complicated cutting and welding of some of the underseat support brackets but is there a simpler and more obvious way?
Here's what the bed looks like. Its not a bad size at 150cm wide (much better that the usual layout when you have furniture all down one side) and 190cm long on the drivers side and 180cm long on the passenger side

View attachment 100151

I'm hoping that someone will have some good ideas on making it flatter!
Mine appears to go flatter, I certainly haven't noticed the seat base cushion being angled upwards

@BigDean. Remember that the individual rear seats are heavy and the 3 seater settee is very very heavy so it’s not an easy job to get them in and out of the van
Thanks for that. It will not be a regular occurrence.... we have a motorhome, the t6.1 is a daily driver / day van so will not need to change config too often

Mine appears to go flatter, I certainly haven't noticed the seat base cushion being angled upwards
Hi there. Thanks for the comments. I've fiddled and tugged at mine and still can't get it any flatter. Is there a demon tweak of special technique that might help?

Back