Beach Is No More (apparently)

Toonfan66

Was at the Motorhome Show at the NEC yesterday and popped in at the VW stand ...

(Hope I have this next bits right, sure I'll be corrected if not, info comes from internet searches and speaking to someone on the VW stand)

The California 6.1 is available in 3 variants: Ocean, Coast and Beach. I believe Ocean is as we know it, Coast is similar (built in kitchen etc) but slightly de-spec'd, and the Beach now has a nifty folding hob that is stowed on the (UK) nearside opposite the door but still allows full width seating/bed. This version of the Beach is called 'Camper' but there's a twist, you can elect to forgo the folding hob and instead have a 2nd sliding door in which case you have the 'Tour' version of the Beach.

A Beach with twin sliders would be great (for me) but the Beach isn't showing up on the VW.co.uk website so I asked the helpful guy on the VW stand (the one who looked a little like Ed Sheeran).

He said VW UK decided, after much deliberation, not to offer the Beach in the UK any more due to volume of expected sales, hence why just the Ocean and Coast are showing. All 3 California variants are available in Germany though.

If I'm wrong with any of the above I apologise. I was just surprised that's all. Along with the DVLA restrictions on conversions etc getting just what you want is getting increasingly difficult.

VW UK are complete idiots. Narrow minded. "Nanny knows best". It is the same with what versions you can get the 4Motion on. The Beach Tour is exactly what I wanted but have ended up ordering a Caravelle Exec 4Motion.

VW UK are complete idiots. Narrow minded. "Nanny knows best". It is the same with what versions you can get the 4Motion on. The Beach Tour is exactly what I wanted but have ended up ordering a Caravelle Exec 4Motion.
I've narrowed down the options and have come to the conclusion a Caravelle Executive 4Motion is nearest to what I want too ... at least as a starting point.

Me too, it's an expensive starting point! Mind you I specced a 6.1 panel van yesterday and it came in at 50 big ones.

Cutting the roof to put a pop top in seems like it will cause corrosion in the longer term but to have it factory fitted is way better. From what I have seen and read, the Beach Tour seems like a Caravelle Executive with a pop top. I don't want to carry a kitchen about all the time, hence the Caravelle over a California.

If I knew that the Beach Tour was coming to the UK, I would cancel my order and waited. It seems like they are taking an age with my order anyway having been told week 39 for build and then week 43. It is as though I was bumped off for someone else. No way will I get it before the end of the month. So it could be the new year if things go TU on 31st.

I priced up Exploria to convert my 18 Caravelle and it was about £15k just for the basics so I traded the Caravelle for a 69 plate California

What about that option for an empty window van with a factory pop-top. That’s the really interesting one from my point of view, although I assume it’s for registered convertors only. Is that coming to the UK?

Back