Battery Control Module failed?

T6_FunBus

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Greetings.

What would be the expected symptoms of a failed battery control module?

Stop start error? Other electrical gremlins?

What symptoms you got.?

I've not heard of a faulty battery monitor yet.

But have heard of LIN bus cable damage to alternator.

Hi, @Dellmassive , there is another thread called ‘lots of errors’ I am currently fighting with, but it was getting long and I wanted to ask specifically about the module so figured a new thread to highlight the battery module q :)

Other errors are below.

Just to update this in case anyone searches and finds in the future, my battery monitor was not faulty - I swapped it out and had the same issues:

- BCM communication error in ecu
- Battery module communication error
- Generator communication error
- Start stop error
- Voltage errors

Turned out to be the Lin wire from pin 37 on the BCM. Alternator to battery module end had a poor signal, but BCM to that wire was even worse, so suspect a snap / wire damage.

Issue resolved by rewiring alternator and battery module to the BCM.

Mine always shows a quiescent? current error, I've always put it down to the B2B 'stealing' current after the engine has been turned off.

Mine always shows a quiescent? current error, I've always put it down to the B2B 'stealing' current after the engine has been turned off.
Quiescent current errors can be caused by dashcams/USB chargers plugged into 12V cig sockets/trackers/immobilisers etc. Anything that’s drawing current that the van isn’t expecting, after the ignition is turned off.

Quiescent current errors can be caused by dashcams/USB chargers plugged into 12V cig sockets/trackers/immobilisers etc. Anything that’s drawing current that the van isn’t expecting, after the ignition is turned off.
That's what I have always assumed.

Hmmm, I’ve not had that one, but I have had static current limit exceeded a few times the past couple of years since have my victron b2b, but I also assumed that is because the victron is always live and powered by the starter battery even when ignition is off, as its directly connected.

Its pretty useful as I often use it check the starter battery voltage outside the van when its been sat for a bit.

I do wonder how much of an additional strain the b2b puts on the system, or whether it confuses the stop-start / smart charging system, as the factory system is monitoring the starter battery and only putting juice in when it thinks the starter battery needs, but as soon as it does that, if it isn’t at float on the leisure battery, that starts pulling charge, I notice sometimes the voltage varies between alternator / starter battery and the leisure battery.

Back