Barn doors, put windows in or not?

T6Nickk

Hi, I have just bought a new dsg highline with barn doors. Keen to get people's thoughts on if we should have windows put in the doors or not when the conversion is done? Has anyone added windows then regretted it, doesn't have windows but would prefer?

It makes life so much easier having windows. Tinted so no one can see in But it gives you the ability to see what’s behind you. I would never do oterwise. It’s also lets the lighting and get your views went camping

I have them fitted to mine. More light (tinted) can see using rear view mirror whist driving and fitted a rear facing webcam. Will worth it

Morning all,
First post for me. Collected a 2016 T32 LWB highline Kombi at the weekend. Twin sliders and barn doors. The configuration that I wanted and not common, fell really lucky with one an hour away. It’s completely standard, using it for house move/renovation. Thereafter I’m sure the kids(20s)will try and steal it.
I’m in exactly the same boat as the OP regarding windows. Mind made up thanks.

Hi, I have just bought a new dsg highline with barn doors. Keen to get people's thoughts on if we should have windows put in the doors or not when the conversion is done? Has anyone added windows then regretted it, doesn't have windows but would prefer?
Like others have said, so much easier to use/park etc with windows in. I also think vans look better externally with rear windows, but if you later change your mind you could always have interior panels installed to cover them up.

Fitted windows to mine but having got so used to having panels I find I rarely use them for parking. Plus they are so high you can't see another car behind you.

It's also slightly annoying that there are no rear windscreen wipers too. A small bit of rain and you can't see out of them either.

They do look great though.

Fitted windows to mine but having got so used to having panels I find I rarely use them for parking. Plus they are so high you can't see another car behind you.

It's also slightly annoying that there are no rear windscreen wipers too. A small bit of rain and you can't see out of them either.

They do look great though.
This is my opinion as well regarding the parking, I wouldn't use the rear view mirror to park. Interesting point about the rain, though I agree they do look better with windows. I'm just thinking the doors can be used for things like storage nets, or another practical uses if it didn't have windows in. I never thought this would be a big decision!!!

The main thing is light they let in as you need that when all doors closed. The rain thing is yes a pain, but minor.

Last edited:
Ok windows are going in. Thanks guys. Love this forum so far, already been extremely helpful. Not normally a fan of forums and online groups as they are generally just full of people giving abuse or trying to be funny. Thanks again

Back