Back up software ...

Murdoch

Electrician
VIP Member
T6 Guru
This may seem very random but I’d like to pick as many minds as possible.

our house is hard wired with cat 5 and we currently have a western digital mycloud which is supposed to do automated backups of computers once a week. The WD software appears to have been disabled as its end of life so I need a new solution

not wishing to change the mycloud device, can I use “any” 3rd party software to do this? Don’t mind paying for it

Any recommendations?

thanks

If you are running Windows 10 there is built in back-up, I can't remember if the older versions have similar.

I'm like you with hard wired Cat5 but wireless does the job just as well from my laptops.

If you backups are critical (ie pics of the kids birthdays, wedding pics, financial or business data.. etc etc and thats the only copy you have)

Then having a backup drive in the same property as the main copy is bad . . . Thats a single point of failure... ie God forbid it, but fire or flood etc.

So look at the Cloud options.

I have a Dropbox and Google cloud storage.... off site and secure.

Aside from that Synology is great..... with its hardware.

If you looking to keep the existing setup, then setup a shared folder on the external drive and any of the many many free or paid for Backup utilities to copy a backup to the shared folder.

As above, I wouldn’t trust a WD external drive for much more than just a copy drive, but Macrium Reflect is good for scheduled backups to a network drive.

All my media stuff gets sent to Dropbox as soon as a picture/video is taken, my work files are on a desktop folder that also gets backed up to Dropbox.

I’ve also got storage (if I wanted to use it) with Amazon Prime, BT Internet, Office 365 etc.

My “my cloud” died a death too! I keep putting the recovery job onto my long finger too. I CAT6 cabled the whole house and now only use it for the TVs, using a mesh wifi instead. (I tend to avoid Dropbox)

I just use Google drive as I'm building a smart house based around Google home, it's working very well... I've got a mesh WiFi setup in the house, all computers and my phone can backup automatically to it. If you need more space then you can upgrade the storage. Simple :)

Back