Correct - the B pillar grab handle works with the Shuttle / caravelle interior which is different to the van / kombi. It isnt as simple as changing the B pillar trim as the shuttle roof is different

I researched this and found one owner carpet covered the metal bracket. Personally, I didnt want an exposed metal bracket in line with SWMBOs head.

I made a handle from 1” nylon webbing and some black fuel hose bolted with big washers into the threaded bosses by the upper seatbelt mount. Functional, absolutely. Pretty, questionable. Is it dangerous no.

CE0D636E-B8E5-47EB-BEE8-FD5CA0519DAD.jpeg

6A04C214-9CE1-4E1C-99EE-EC590382CE40.jpeg

Great , thanks for the information and the pictures , I am sure I have a similar type of handle in my failed projects box .The picture of the bracket looks identical to the one I have I may rework the bracket by a bit of cutting and welding if needed. I have the services of a coded welder if I need him . The project starts again just have to find all the bits I threw ( carefully put away) on the shelf.

Great , thanks for the information and the pictures , I am sure I have a similar type of handle in my failed projects box .The picture of the bracket looks identical to the one I have I may rework the bracket by a bit of cutting and welding if needed. I have the services of a coded welder if I need him . The project starts again just have to find all the bits I threw ( carefully put away) on the shelf.

I considered this too (my mate does stainless welding in the food industry) but I didn’t feel there was enough room / clearance between the plastic cover and seat belt anchor.

I think a bespoke bracket would be better, however the plastic handle and shrouds are designed to fit the shuttle pillar trim. Removal of shrouds could leave the handle looking a bit unfinished.

You can see I’ve given this some thought.

Hopefully this shows it. The bit with the coat hook comes off. The hole in the handle where the bolt goes in has a steel insert so not straight forward to shorten.

5D07C2B2-A4EC-42DC-A020-A33504C2CF17.png

More ideas , will do some measurements and thinking will post if and when I come up with an answer .Thanks for sharing your thoughts .

B08F802B-DD99-4077-A35D-FF64F8A83160.jpeg0CA79BB7-981C-446F-A75B-ACD6535156CA.jpegAFE86ED1-647C-4CE8-BBD7-49BB70B29AF8.jpeg43807319-F95B-4C88-A96F-468EBC267170.jpeg84B3045A-324A-4F99-819B-9D41C9034286.jpegToday I set to and fitted a genuine B pillar grab handle (£68 from EBay) to my Transporter. I kept the bracket as it came, but covered it in 4-way stretch carpet. I used a multi-tool to modify the upper b pillar trim. The grab handle locating spigots were trimmed back and it’s attachment bolts cut short. It all bolted together quite well - see pics

View attachment 109010View attachment 109006View attachment 109008View attachment 109009View attachment 109007Today I set to and fitted a genuine B pillar grab handle (£68 from EBay) to my Transporter. I kept the bracket as it came, but covered it in 4-way stretch carpet. I used a multi-tool to modify the upper b pillar trim. The grab handle locating spigots were trimmed back and it’s attachment bolts cut short. It all bolted together quite well - see pics

Hi Keeffe. Is this a T6 which has had the bulkhead removed? You have covered the bracket in stretch carpet but could it just be sprayed or would that look a bit messy?

Neat job by the way!

Thanks

@Tiggy1955 Yes you could just paint it, there are some threads showing it painted. But it sticks out a bit, so I thought I’d hide that with some carpet. I have a T6 Transporter camper conversion. It came from factory without the bulkhead.

Can't believe it's some 15 months since I started this project almost finished , since my last post I accumulated via e-bay a upper b post trim ,6mm caphead bolts and an appropriate 6mm tap. From my spares I gathered 3 types of grab handle and a length of 25 mm X 5 mm angle iron. Using the dimensions from the VW bracket and a angle grinder I made my bracket . The B post holes were slotted to allow the vertical edges to come tight against the edge of the A post cover. with the handle fixing lugs drilled and tapped.

From the handles I had I chose the correct B post grab handle which needed the base plates modified ( hacked about a bit ) to better match the profile of the door trim which also needed a bit of modifying to remove plastic fixing lugs from the inside and two fixing holes drilled . The handle was a fetching brown colour so I repainted grape yellow to match the van .I am quite pleased with the result , I stress tested it by swinging on it and it seemed very secure we shall see how it performs over the next few months.

IMG_20201209_095957.jpg

IMG_20220116_124128.jpg

IMG_20220116_152714.jpg

IMG_20220116_152701.jpg

Can't believe it's some 15 months since I started this project almost finished , since my last post I accumulated via e-bay a upper b post trim ,6mm caphead bolts and an appropriate 6mm tap. From my spares I gathered 3 types of grab handle and a length of 25 mm X 5 mm angle iron. Using the dimensions from the VW bracket and a angle grinder I made my bracket . The B post holes were slotted to allow the vertical edges to come tight against the edge of the A post cover. with the handle fixing lugs drilled and tapped.

From the handles I had I chose the correct B post grab handle which needed the base plates modified ( hacked about a bit ) to better match the profile of the door trim which also needed a bit of modifying to remove plastic fixing lugs from the inside and two fixing holes drilled . The handle was a fetching brown colour so I repainted grape yellow to match the van .I am quite pleased with the result , I stress tested it by swinging on it and it seemed very secure we shall see how it performs over the next few months.

View attachment 142265

View attachment 142266

View attachment 142269

View attachment 142272
Put my name down for a metal bracket ;)

View attachment 142265

View attachment 142266

View attachment 142269

View attachment 142272
Great job!

Looks a bit neater than my effort I used 4mm angle as I thought the metal bracket a bit light gauge.
The handle has been stress tested by my 14 stone neighbor as I assist to load him in the rear seats and so far it has stood up to the strain.

I’ve been looking for a way of fitting a grab handle to the nearside B pillar our T6.1 based camper-van (when it eventually arrives) so this thread made interesting reading, I felt an alternative approach might be to fit a suitable load-bearing strap hanger (actually a door handle loop for use in race, rally and road cars made from 1400Kg webbing) into the existing threaded attachment point at the top of the B pillar (which I think is used as the top mounting point for a bulkhead in a PV). This strikes me as being an easier option as it would involve just cutting a small clearance hole through the plastic pillar trim, through which a sleeved bolt would be screwed into the B pillar to secure the strap. The strap measures 22cm overall length, has a loop size of 14cm and has a 11cm bolt hole for fixing. It comes in various colours and costs £4.50…
86780D7D-9883-42E2-9B28-1E00548D30AF.jpeg

Last edited:
Very interesting to see that’s what’s fitted in the new T7. It also occurred to me that a strap would be safer as you’re less likely to hit your head on it.

Last edited:
Back