Awnings and Tarps

I fitted these at the weekend c channels on both sides of my van - I modified them so as to not interfere with the “leak free fitting method” of the roof rack. The modifications consisted of shaping the front of each C channel and drilling 4 holes in each channel (3x 20mm to fit over bonded washers and 1x25mm to fit over VW original roof bolt) I also stuck them down with double sided automotive tape. Then replaced the rails on top. They will be used with “The Tarp” (stitches and steel) this means I can choose to put it on one of three sides of the van - left or right c channel or over the tailgate (not yet had chance to figure out how to attach it in the tailgate position. By the way the “the tarp” kador strip was a very tight fit into each channel.

looks good - can I ask where you bought the c-channel? Is that 6mm?

Half an hour for you maybe! I could probably botch something in a couple of hours but I love this van and I'm not willing to subject it to that.. :D

@VanDamMan

have emailed camper essentials:
"Got a T6, really want an awning but dont want to drill any new holes in the van. Also already got roof bars which I like and need. Got any options for awnings that either tie to the roof bars or a rail that somehow attaches to the roof rails or cross bars specifically for t6?"

Let's see what they say :)
VW T5/T6 Pre-Drilled C-Channel Awning Rail for Roof Bars sits under you roof bars i would file the openings though to help you feed in the canopy . i went with a Khayam sun canopy with velcro sides and front for the best of all worlds.. till i need a drive away awning. Outdoor Revolution Cayman Sun Canopy Side Panels (x2) | Leisure Outlet outdoor revolution were the cheapest i could find. watch out there's big price jumps so shop around

Old thread but in case it helps anyone, I've have fitted the pre-drilled C-Channel rail that sits under roof bars from Funky Leisure but had it powder coated black first to match my van. Looks very subtle. Trying it out for real this weekend.

IMG_0661.jpg

IMG_0660.jpg

Back