Awnings and Tarps

LuckyPants

Hi Guys,

Tring to work out how best to attach a tarp or an awning to the side of the van without any modification to the van (or a magnet scratching up the paintwork). I've got roof bars so am thinking there might be some velcro options out there, but if there are I can't find them?

Any suggestions? would rather not to have make it myself :D (lazy!)

Reluctant to just buy a quecha tarp but could do i suppose....

Links would be super appreciated!!

Thanks for help

The easiest way is to install a hidden C-rail under one of the roof bars, but if you really don't want to change anything, then just tie it to the roof bars.

Pete

The easiest way is to install a hidden C-rail under one of the roof bars, but if you really don't want to change anything, then just tie it to the roof bars.

Pete
The majority of them don't really look like they have a tying option, unless its just a bog standard tarp and then i will have to put new eyelets in it otherwise it will sag and all the rain will come in? I know I'm probably being a been dense, just thought there might be a few easy plug and play options out there... appreciate your help though.

I'm with Pete on the tie down, can't imagine velcro would be up to a good down pour and gusts of wind etc.
I went with 2 rails 1 each side, that I pop riveted through the roof. I can attach either the tent or awning either side,depending on pitch site and sun shade etc. I used a length of plabtci / rubber insert for the rail, that keeps muck out. Supplied by Go Camping at Norwich 30% discount sale, so was about £12 for both sides. The rails are 3 metre long, the insert went between the rail and roof.A second purchase then went into the rail, as for its intended use. Not pretty, but very practical. Vans for using not admiring.

I'm with Pete on the tie down, can't imagine velcro would be up to a good down pour and gusts of wind etc.
I went with 2 rails 1 each side, that I pop riveted through the roof. I can attach either the tent or awning either side,depending on pitch site and sun shade etc. I used a length of plabtci / rubber insert for the rail, that keeps muck out. Supplied by Go Camping at Norwich 30% discount sale, so was about £12 for both sides. The rails are 3 metre long, the insert went between the rail and roof.A second purchase then went into the rail, as for its intended use. Not pretty, but very practical. Vans for using not admiring.
hmm yes, i not really worried about the pretty, im more worried about the damage it would cause me doing it myself or the cost/time it would take to get somewone decent to do it..

Next job, I'm thinking of doing is using a waterproof sail. -awning, cut to size, inserting eyelets and then stringing between the rails as a sun shade. Should keep direct sunlight off the roof. Old Landrover Safari style. Easy up, easy down when travelling, again probably not pretty, but at 72 neither am I.

Pre drilled the holes in the rail, offered to the roof and taped into position, drilled the holes.Removed the rail, and then drilled machine holes through the rail gasket length of rubber. Cleaned the holes, and hoovered out any swarf, applied rust proof, and sealant. Dried off, rails back up with the gasket, and using the concertina riveter with tight fitting rivets, job done, Start to finish with sons help and 2 stets of steps, total time was 30 minutes.Rails £45, gasket £12, about £10 for rivets which I already had, as was sealant. So about £80 for a permanent secure system.

Half an hour for you maybe! I could probably botch something in a couple of hours but I love this van and I'm not willing to subject it to that.. :D

@VanDamMan

have emailed camper essentials:
"Got a T6, really want an awning but dont want to drill any new holes in the van. Also already got roof bars which I like and need. Got any options for awnings that either tie to the roof bars or a rail that somehow attaches to the roof rails or cross bars specifically for t6?"

Let's see what they say :)

You are not the first to think about doing a cheap and cheerful tarp on the side. Have a read through this thread which goes through a lot of what you can do.

DIY awning

I ended up putting a C channel strip in the roof gutter, took all of 10 mins to fit and is entirely removable and pretty much invisible from ground level. You can get C channels that fit under roof bars.

£40 for a C channel strip, plus £90 for a Debus canopy which comes with king poles and you’re sorted.

You might bodge something together a bit cheaper, £30 for a decent tarp, £5 for eyelets, £5 for some rope, £30 for a pair of king poles and then some way to attach it to the van that may at best not be very good or at worst could damage your paintwork but what’s the point? Spend £130 and you’ve got a nice neat solution that will last.

If you want a tarp we also have some ss lifting eye bolts form marine store they fit into the roof bar bolt holes perfect for fixing too , we also have a funky leisure c strip on the door side

If you want a tarp we also have some ss lifting eye bolts form marine store they fit into the roof bar bolt holes perfect for fixing too , we also have a funky leisure c strip on the door side
Do you have a link or a picture of the lifting eye bolts. I’m trying to put something together for under my pop top.

Or these..

I’m going to go for the Stitches + Steel option. To me it looks like the best option, and (I think) will work by just fitting the guide runner under the roof rail

I fitted these at the weekend c channels on both sides of my van - I modified them so as to not interfere with the “leak free fitting method” of the roof rack. The modifications consisted of shaping the front of each C channel and drilling 4 holes in each channel (3x 20mm to fit over bonded washers and 1x25mm to fit over VW original roof bolt) I also stuck them down with double sided automotive tape. Then replaced the rails on top. They will be used with “The Tarp” (stitches and steel) this means I can choose to put it on one of three sides of the van - left or right c channel or over the tailgate (not yet had chance to figure out how to attach it in the tailgate position. By the way the “the tarp” kador strip was a very tight fit into each channel.

631977C5-D235-4089-AB34-19A146A188F7.jpeg

B92A915E-4C47-4958-A00E-35FF4933CF8A.jpeg

56CA3481-7534-474C-8955-99075EB6A22B.jpeg

B83B616E-9787-41DD-B0AD-27D10EF7BB69.jpeg

A5CE64ED-6617-4843-A17D-E3608ED93B59.jpeg

E7A40869-65AF-4A33-B713-CE956F484A4C.jpeg

Last edited:
Back