Awning thats good for kippin in..!

Andrew

T6 Guru
Hello all - Firstly apologies of another Awning post but after searching I couldn't find the info I needed.

So, moments after erecting my newly purchased Khyam Compact 300 awning, I realised it was terrible.. The main reasons I don't like it is because the wind quickly blows under the sides and the main opening is at the rear of the awning rather than the front.. I am in need of something that I can sleep in and this awning simply doesn't come close...

So my question to you learned campers...

Is there an awning with built in groundsheet and opening at the front... In my desperation to find something I even looked at tents.. Is this a viable option?

Any advice would be great as I'm now thinking I'll end up buying a tent..

Thanks all.. :)

Hello all - Firstly apologies of another Awning post but after searching I couldn't find the info I needed.

So, moments after erecting my newly purchased Khyam Compact 300 awning, I realised it was terrible.. The main reasons I don't like it is because the wind quickly blows under the sides and the main opening is at the rear of the awning rather than the front.. I am in need of something that I can sleep in and this awning simply doesn't come close...

So my question to you learned campers...

Is there an awning with built in groundsheet and opening at the front... In my desperation to find something I even looked at tents.. Is this a viable option?

Any advice would be great as I'm now thinking I'll end up buying a tent..

Thanks all.. :)
Vango Kela III with optional bedroom.

As above Vango all the way. Easy to put up, fully sealed and well made. We have some ex demo Kela 2 and Sapera 2 if interested?

This is the exact reason I went away from kyham as wanted something with built in ground sheet so opted for an outdoor revolution movelite in the end but the choice was between that and vango and ultimately came down to what was available at the time and the deal I got buying it with accessories etc

I'm looking all over the net to see if these come with a sewn in groundsheet.. Can't see anything so far...

We took a trip to the east coast and had a nightmare due to the wind blowing under the sides.. we were frozen and my wife took some convincing that it won't always be that way.. ! Sewn in groundsheet is the deal breaker for me..

Baffled that none have one!
In our four years of campervan fun, we've had to lower the roof (the kids sleep upstairs) in very high winds in the middle of the night.

If I was in an awning, I'd want serious weather protection.

Off to scan the net...

Hey up BognorMotors & @Davenjo - Thank you for the recommendation..

How much would an ex demo Sapera 2 cost..?

Thank you :)
Make sure you go for the "low" variant - not sure this was available on the earlier Kela/Sapera models?? Also I think the Kela 3 has much better quality fabric than the earlier models. Not saying don't go for the Kela/Sapera 2 but I'd compare them to make sure the savings are worth it.

I'm looking all over the net to see if these come with a sewn in groundsheet.. Can't see anything so far...

We took a trip to the east coast and had a nightmare due to the wind blowing under the sides.. we were frozen and my wife took some convincing that it won't always be that way.. ! Sewn in groundsheet is the deal breaker for me..
Yes they have sewn in ground sheets except for the bit closest to the van. They are very wind resistant with additional straps, etc., to use in gales.

Our Kela 3 at the Bala Meet a few weeks ago - ground was pretty uneven hence not pitched perfectly but did the job. The part where you can see the chairs and table has a fully sewn in ground sheet and can be closed off/sealed to the elements:-
IMG_2672.jpg IMG_2674.jpg

Thanks everyone - Just watched the Vango video on youtube and he still didn't mention groundsheet..!

If the Sapera 2 or Kela 2 have sewn in then thats great. I really like the idea of the Vango.. Stick it in the ground and blow it up option..

@Pauly - What version of the outdoor revolution movelite did you go for.. Are you happy with it for keeping warm in the evening?

Thanks everyone for your help.. I'm currently 350 notes down with a Khyam and refuse to waste any more money (for a while anyway)..

@Pauly - What version of the outdoor revolution movelite did you go for.. Are you happy with it for keeping warm in the evening?

Thanks everyone for your help.. I'm currently 350 notes down with a Khyam and refuse to waste any more money (for a while anyway)..

That's very annoying. Worth contacting them? I'd give it a go.

I went for the movelite t5 kombi, it's the biggest one as there's 5 of us and wanted to make sure we had some sheltered space for rainy days, not cheap spent over a grand with all the accessories but it's a great bit of kit and hoping to get plenty of use out of it but as our van is a kombi and not a camper we have no usable space in the vehicle so thought it was worth the extra to get a decent bit of space

@Pauly - Thats a beauty.. Probably a bit too much for me and my wife though. Although I'm sure she'd fill it very quickly with random crap!

I think the Sapera 2 is the way forward. Big enough for 2 and able to get it warm enough on an evening without the wind blowing in..
@BognorMotors - how much would one of these cost? And does it have an internal sleeping section?

That's very annoying. Worth contacting them? I'd give it a go.
- I would never recommend the Khyam.. A very poor awning.. I managed to put a 3ft rip in the side by simply pulling it taught when putting in a tent peg. I barely put any pressure on it.. It's fit for the bin now!

I've just had a look at your Flamborough Head photos from April - it was obviously very windy and you did well to do your first pitch in those conditions. So, before you spend any more money, my suggestion would be to give the Kyham another go but in better weather conditions - our friends have a tailgate Kyham which I think is very similar design and size to yours - we were away with them using it last weekend, and, whilst they were not sleeping in it, with the sleeping inner tent, they could of done quite easily. I'm not saying it will be perfect but using in better weather might give you a different perspective on how good the awning is??

Scrub that - just seen the above where it looks like you have already trashed it :)

Scrub that - just seen the above where it looks like you have already trashed it :)

Ha - yes, it's already battered.. We went away again in better weather but once the wind got up in the evening it still became cold. And as it didn't have sewn in groundsheet the heater did nothing...

So why did you not get a motordome admittedly you have to pay the groundsheet but the bedroom part has a sewn in ground sheet. We used one with the last Cali a few times and one was in Scotland. You waisted your money with the one you have it's not really for sleeping in.

Back