Autoterm Planar 2D Simcom remote not working

Farnorthsurfer

VCDS User
VIP Member
T6 Guru
I fitted a Planar 2D in the usual place under the van on the drivers side. No issues with the install or the PU27 controller on the drivers B Pillar. I also fitted the Simcom remote unit with a GiffGaff SIM card and although it took a few tries to get it working it all worked fine for a few months. The iPhone app is a bit industrial but works OK. Or it used to.
The first issue I had was when I had to disconnect the Leisure battery to fit a smart shunt. The Simcom stopped working and I had to go through the set up procedure again.
But it’s now stopped working and I can’t get it going. (The heater works fine through the PU27).
I have tried contacting Autoterm and the sales guy has always come back promptly but the tech support has never called me back.
Anyway, has anyone had this before, have any fault finding pointers?
When I phone the Simcom I do get the three beeps back from the unit which is what it’s supposed to do. But the heater doesn’t respond.

This may be of no help whatsoever but when I have disconnected my battery I lose all settings to my planar and have to reset it to my chosen parameters.
Do you have to tell the heater controller that you have a remote control. It may have lost that setting.

Thanks for replies. I have tried to reset it like I did before but no joy. I will try disconnecting everything again, like a full reset. The instructions that originally worked were extra ones from Planar UK but these seem to have changed.

Hi

I am hoping you can help me with the modem for my Planar heater in my VW Camper can. I had my van conversion completed and handed back yesterday. The one job the conversion complaint left for me to do was set up the modem.

I have downloaded the instructions and followed them and had it working however on the display panel it stated “connection error” but still worked fine via the app. My converter said to remove this error disconnect the power to the modem and reconnect and it should clear the message (even though it was working fine). This is where the problems have started when I plugged it back in the light is flashing green rapidly and doesn’t slow down and pick up and network, I have tried disconnecting and reconnection with the instructions and also registered a new sim (both of which gift gaff) however it still doesn’t work the light is just flashing rapid green

Could you offer bay advice please it’s driving me mad

Ian

Hi

I am hoping you can help me with the modem for my Planar heater in my VW Camper can. I had my van conversion completed and handed back yesterday. The one job the conversion complaint left for me to do was set up the modem.

I have downloaded the instructions and followed them and had it working however on the display panel it stated “connection error” but still worked fine via the app. My converter said to remove this error disconnect the power to the modem and reconnect and it should clear the message (even though it was working fine). This is where the problems have started when I plugged it back in the light is flashing green rapidly and doesn’t slow down and pick up and network, I have tried disconnecting and reconnection with the instructions and also registered a new sim (both of which gift gaff) however it still doesn’t work the light is just flashing rapid green

Could you offer bay advice please it’s driving me mad

Ian
Would love to be able to help you but didn’t have any joy getting mine working again and now the GiffGaff SIM has expired so I have abandoned it. :(
Tried on a number of occasions to get support from Planar UK but was classically told ‘the tech will call you back’ and needless to say they never ever did. Had the distinct impression that they were running the clock down on any warranty I might try and get. They also wouldn’t/couldn’t tell me what the warranty period was.
The heater itself works fine and pumps out lots of heat, but noisy for sleeping with but also too hot for me when sleeping.
Tend to use it to get the van warmed up from cold then it goes off again.
Good luck with fault finding, let me know if you get a fix

Thanks for responding appreciate it - the frustrating part was I had this working until he told me to diwnconnect and reconnect and it appears to have lost all settings so I tried to set it up as a new install but it just now doesn’t connect to the network (light flashing green rapidly) - driving me mad

Thanks for responding appreciate it - the frustrating part was I had this working until he told me to diwnconnect and reconnect and it appears to have lost all settings so I tried to set it up as a new install but it just now doesn’t connect to the network (light flashing green rapidly) - driving me mad
Mine was working, then stopped. I got it going again but at some point it also stopped responding and hasn’t worked since.
No idea why and very limited methods of fault finding.
Guess one of the much more expensive units would perform better and have better support.
But the heater does the job post surf

Hey thanks for this i spoke to Planar heater support today and they informed me they had a faulty batch of modems with incorrect software out in the network. Really nice chap! He has said it would never work now after being unplugged and will get me a new one sent out

Hey thanks for this i spoke to Planar heater support today and they informed me they had a faulty batch of modems with incorrect software out in the network. Really nice chap! He has said it would never work now after being unplugged and will get me a new one sent out
Glad you got a resolution, let us know if it does fix it please :)
Also if you could let me know who you contacted maybe they could help me, this time round

Back