Autoranging Light Sensors

auto level LED/Xenon ligh sensors are on the lower suspension arms..

setup and reset can be done via VCDS. (set basic settings)

additional slight manual adjustment is available on the light unit itself.

If I start my van on a sloping drive, I do assume they auto adjust when on the roads ?
Otherwise the owls get a bit pissed off

Not sure if it's just at startup or continuous......

I'd assume it's a continuous adjustment.

There you go...... just need a Ton of bricks to test.......

I know on VCDS you can monitor the level sensors
.... I remember bouncing on the side of the van and watching the level sensor readout..... but I've not correlated the effects on the light motors......

I think it sets the level relative to the ground i.e. the height of the front and rear suspension and sets the platform level it doesn’t matter if you’re on a slope because it’s the distance between the ground and the car. If they’re running too high you need to use the manual adjusting screws on the headlights themselves there is a procedure for this in the forum.

Sorry Loz but that’s about as useful as a broken leg, if I’m not a VIP and it might not help.
Can’t get info from VW on anything because they’re useless. Can’t get info off here or anywhere else that’s useful.
I was an engineer once and a damn good one. I shared my info, not kept it to myself.
I’m wanting some technical info to understand why my lights were too low to start with, (in my opinion) and now after dropping front and back the same amount, still having the same rake (1cm) up at the rear, they shine upwards.
There are lots of screws on top of the lights, I might just as well try it and post the results on here.

Have you checked the level sensors are intact, if the lights are going skyward that’s normally a sign of a broken sensor, the adjustment arms sometimes snap off causing the lights to go to max upward adjustment
Put the van on full right lock and look behind the drivers wheel for the front sensor, the rear is behind the drivers rear wheel and straddles the anti roll bar so you need to get your head under the van to see it

What lights do you have - H4, H7, LED or after market ?

Pete

It’s a 69 reg Edition, so I presume LEDs.
Definitely LEDs.

I think it would be useful if you confirmed whether they are definitely LEDs or not, otherwise you could end up going down all sorts of rabbit holes.
If you have dropped the ride height (you don’t say how), then I would start with Pauly’s comment above about checking if the level sensors are intact. They could have been affected by the change.

Pete

Dropping the ride height shouldn’t make any difference as it the level sensors are measuring the difference front to rear and if the rear goes down in relation to the front then it adjusts the lights down to compensate the change in angle

If your lights have gone skywards then it’s highly likely one of the sensors or sensor arms has been broken or is not attached

Sorry Loz but that’s about as useful as a broken leg, if I’m not a VIP and it might not help.
Can’t get info from VW on anything because they’re useless. Can’t get info off here or anywhere else that’s useful.
I was an engineer once and a damn good one. I shared my info, not kept it to myself.
I’m wanting some technical info to understand why my lights were too low to start with, (in my opinion) and now after dropping front and back the same amount, still having the same rake (1cm) up at the rear, they shine upwards.
There are lots of screws on top of the lights, I might just as well try it and post the results on here.
None taken! Its also posted in a topic if you can be arsed to look(search).
That was first one I came across when I searched.

Sorry Loz, but I’ve searched under lots of titles and not come up with anything.
I have searched until I’m blue in the face ( like a Smurf ) and not found a lot.
If the sensor is on the right of the disc and near the shiny bit in the pic, then maybe when the originals were removed, it was knocked.

Back