Audio Upgrade - What Amp Do I Need?

@Cham13 @Alan Croft what I did at first was added some 6x9 5 way Kenwood in boxes in the rear under the bench seat (1 each side) and then had the rear fader coded. I did this so the kids can listen to the music while me and Mrs could have a conversation whilst driving. The 6x9s added an improvement and were ok. I've just received a 10inch sub, box and amp from absolute5 and I'm in the process of installing them this week.

I must add, Jason at absolute5 has been really helpful...so I suggest speaking to him to bounce your ideas off him before shelling out any money

Last edited:
Well I have just learnt something....I wasn't aware you could purchase products from this forum, brilliant. Cheers Pauly.
Happy to purchase the speaker cabling from you/the forum with the connectors fitted. I plan to fit the speakers mid way into the rear of my LWB, please let me know the cost and I will pay up.

10m is enough for roof mount but if you are going to drop down the rear d pillar and comes forwards above the rear wheelarches then 15m will prob be required

Hi Absolut5,

Firstly, I wish to add extra speakers. I know its simple to connect wires to the factory head unit and install 2 extra's in the rear. I would ideally like to install 4 additional speakers, making it an 8 speaker output. In order to do this, is an amp required or could I spur of one set of speakers into another in the rear?

Secondly, I want to install a split charger, I've read up about the 'smart alternator' and appreciate I require a DCDC unit. Do you supply these and would you be able to supply me a made up loom/system to simply install or would I require an auto electrical - I will explain what I wish to do:

As I plan to install a swivel plate for the front double seat, I'm guessing I need to fit the leisure battery and DC unit under the drivers seat?
I'm only wanting to install lighting and usb sockets in the rear, running off the leisure battery with the additional option to plug in a 240v inverter on the odd occasion we require a plug socket.

To date, I have only messed around with auto electrics on previous T25's that I have owned, never a T5 or T6, but owned both.

So to confirm, if you could let me know what you can offer/supply on the stereo speaker situation as well as the split charger, the cost etc...and we can go from there?

many thanks
Craig.

And my question please is do I fit some rear speakers or is it better to upgrade the fronts first then do the rears when I install a sub/amp? Am looking at doing it in stages to ease the cost lol. If you could let me know which is best and what the costs are and if you can supply etc I would be grateful. I am keeping the standard discovery media unit btw.

And my question please is do I fit some rear speakers or is it better to upgrade the fronts first then do the rears when I install a sub/amp? Am looking at doing it in stages to ease the cost lol. If you could let me know which is best and what the costs are and if you can supply etc I would be grateful. I am keeping the standard discovery media unit btw.

Il drop you a pm. With some ideas

Hi Absolut5,

Firstly, I wish to add extra speakers. I know its simple to connect wires to the factory head unit and install 2 extra's in the rear. I would ideally like to install 4 additional speakers, making it an 8 speaker output. In order to do this, is an amp required or could I spur of one set of speakers into another in the rear?

Secondly, I want to install a split charger, I've read up about the 'smart alternator' and appreciate I require a DCDC unit. Do you supply these and would you be able to supply me a made up loom/system to simply install or would I require an auto electrical - I will explain what I wish to do:

As I plan to install a swivel plate for the front double seat, I'm guessing I need to fit the leisure battery and DC unit under the drivers seat?
I'm only wanting to install lighting and usb sockets in the rear, running off the leisure battery with the additional option to plug in a 240v inverter on the odd occasion we require a plug socket.

To date, I have only messed around with auto electrics on previous T25's that I have owned, never a T5 or T6, but owned both.

So to confirm, if you could let me know what you can offer/supply on the stereo speaker situation as well as the split charger, the cost etc...and we can go from there?

many thanks
Craig.

Hi Craig

Any reason why you want to add so many speakers. As this normally causes staging, phasing and distortion issues.. I suggest a much less is more approach and add some very good quality fronts, a pair in the rear for rear fill off the headunit, a good quality amp to drive the fronts and a sub

Contact Travelvolts on here he does a range of DcDc units with a dedicated wiring harness to make your life easy

Drop a good quality AGM battery under the drivers seat, and there is plenty of space for the a Ctek unit and fuseholders etc

Best to drop me a pm or call us

Jason

@Absolut5

can you pm me a price for the following please Jason with the necessary loom etc.

JL XD amp to drive sub and front components
JL 10w1 sub in our own design and manufactured underseat enclosure
JL XD sub control

I can supply a plug and play harness which fits behind the headunit, which will have a rca output, switch on feed for the amp and rear speaker wires ready

Coding for the rear speakers is done by VCDS, I’m sure there is someone near you which would do it for a drink

Hi Jason, how much would this be please (pm if you prefer) and is it easy to fit ? I am after rear speakers added, and underseat sub added. I also have the same head unit as the member above.

Been waiting for the poxy Skipton Car Radio to get in touch is annoying. Message the one posted ads for sale then was told to contact their shop, contacted their shop and was told he wasnt in. And then keep phoning all day to get through to someone and never happened. So I may as well put my money elsewhere or do it myself

Back