Anyone tell me how to remove the lower cigarette lighter trim piece?

Can anyone tell me how to remove this trim piece please ? I need to fit a new surround to the 12v socket. I’ve had the trim tools around it for the last 15 minutes, but I’m getting nowhere. By the damage around it, I’m guessing the last owner also had the same trouble, before giving up.

IMG_2226.jpeg

Think you have to push from the back while levering with tool at front or put finger in 12v hole and pull

Using a trim tool you need to carefully remove the facia that surrounds the head unit and has the middle vents incorporated into it - the head unit stays in place (it's pretty easy to remove). You should then (hopefully!) be able to get to the back of that section to disconnect the 12v socket and take it out

Using a trim tool you need to carefully remove the facia that surrounds the head unit and has the middle vents incorporated into it - the head unit stays in place (it's pretty easy to remove). You should then (hopefully!) be able to get to the back of that section to disconnect the 12v socket and take it out
I’ll give that a go, thanks

No chance, fascia off headunit out, no chance of getting to the wiring, it’s attached to other wiring tucked under the trim piece initially wanted to get off. I need to get access much lower down to get to the wires, and then find the connector.

IMG_2227.jpeg

Can't get access from side from taking glove box out? Taking whole of front dash out seems a nightmare!

Think you have to push from the back while levering with tool at front or put finger in 12v hole and pull
Apologies for being dismissive, actually you were correct. The mistake I was making was trying to be careful. Once I lost my temper and swore and yanked at it, it did indeed come off, giving access to the plug very easily. Thank you.
It turns out the info from racT6bus was no help and caused me twice the work. It gave no access to the wiring or plug I needed. It is frustrating when you ask if someone KNOWS how to do a job, and people pass their best guess off as fact. Anyway, all fixed now. : )
For anyone reading this thread in future, fit the black ring to the trim first, then fit the socket. Don’t fit the socket to the ring as I did and then try to fit those pieces into the trim. It makes it a very tight fit and difficult to locate.

No chance, fascia off headunit out, no chance of getting to the wiring, it’s attached to other wiring tucked under the trim piece initially wanted to get off. I need to get access much lower down to get to the wires, and then find the connector.

View attachment 219907
Apologies if it was no help. Having done it myself and having to remove something fitted in that cubby, I was able to reach and it worked for me. I did say 'the head unit stays in place' you didn't actually need to take it all out. Getting the vent surround off is a 2-minute job with a trim tool and it helped me push that unit you needed to get through from the back. Reading your other comment and for reference, it wasn't just a "best guess", I kindly offered it up as it worked for me and for others too. Either way, glad you got it sorted.

Last edited:
What did you buy to replace the surround of the socket? Mine crumbled at the weekend and I've been looking for hours now! Can only find just the socket (no surround) or a complete unit for a T5 which says it's not compatible with a T6.

What did you buy to replace the surround of the socket? Mine crumbled at the weekend and I've been looking for hours now! Can only find just the socket (no surround) or a complete unit for a T5 which says it's not compatible with a T6.
Van X sell a gloss black infill for that hole. It has 3 cut outs for for varios switches/ 12 v sockets/ usb etc.
FInd the item on their website and give them a ring to discuss what bits you want in there. I have a double illuminated usb, a 3 way rocker switch to switch my head unit between starter battery, leisure battery or switch it off, and I also have a 12v charging socket in there

Back