Anyone Own An Electric Scooter?

True Romance

204 TDi DSG LWB
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Anyone got an e scooter? What are your thoughts/impressions? Looking at getting a zero 10x for when we eventually get to go outside again when out with the dog down canal tow paths and off road trails mainly. Not to be used on public roads.

Thanks.

I've not got one myself but do have a passing interest in them...a fellow i follow on youtube has reviewed several, this is the most recent and his favourite

I was at the Milan bike show in November, loads of electric gear there.
I had a go on a scooter and thought hiy this is quite good, now this was a trade show, I asked how much they were and she said depending on how many you buy.
I reckoned they looked about £1200 worth......
I asked for a price for 10 and was told £300 each !! 20 £250 each and so on !!!

Well pulled the trigger on the zero 10x. Due in 3 weeks, was going on a USA road trip for my 50th this june so now that's out the window I've treated myself to a scooter :) Seriously I need to start growing up :D

Anyone recommend a good helmet under £100?

So has it blown up or been shot to pieces ?

What actually does "pulled the trigger" mean ?

Just to clarify it doesn't just have to be a road where road legislation & insurance applies, and a ticket for No Insurance will murder your camper/van insurance. i.e a tow path can most definitely be a "highway".

Just to clarify it doesn't just have to be a road where road legislation & insurance applies, and a ticket for No Insurance will murder your camper/van insurance. i.e a tow path can most definitely be a "highway".
Good point cause the canal network is full of the old bill waiting to catch someone on an e scooter ;) These will hopefully be legalised very soon anyway.

Good point cause the canal network is full of the old bill waiting to catch someone on an e scooter ;) These will hopefully be legalised very soon anyway.

LOL, no I was just pointing out that there are loads of places that most people wouldn't think of that would require no. plates, tax, insurance, licence, helmet. It's not as simple as oh, it's not a road. Private land can also be a public place or a highway in certain circumstances. I'm past all that, I really don't care.

Well pulled the trigger on the zero 10x. Due in 3 weeks, was going on a USA road trip for my 50th this june so now that's out the window I've treated myself to a scooter :) Seriously I need to start growing up :D

Anyone recommend a good helmet under £100?
We just bought 3 Sena R1 cycle helmets with built-in group intercom so we can all talk whilst out cycling. It has Bluetooth phone connection also. A bit more than £100 but great bit of kit.

A 2 kilowatt scooter isnt going to be legalised, bikes are limited to 250w and only with pedal-assist switching.
Nowt to do with me but it sounds like you're taking a huge risk with these.
No insurance, no road tax, no MOT, no type approval, probably illegal road tyres - losing your licence could ruin your working life.
An overpowered bike looks like a legal bike, you cant tell by looking, but a scooter just blatently stands out as illegal.
I wouldnt. But, as I said, nowt to do with me :)

scooter.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Zero said:
ZERO 10X scooter 10inch dual motor electric scooter 52V 3200W e-scooter 65km/h
But the proposals refer to a 25kph limit - this one is two-and-a-half times faster than the legalisation proposals :rolleyes: The governments 'future of mobility' project is only at the 'call for evidence' stage so nothing will change any time soon, meanwhile the fact remains that users are presently riding an illegal vehicle without tax, insurance, etc blah blah ;)
Any eventual future legalisation will be to strict specifications (which is why all legal ebikes are almost identical) and my humble opinion is that the 65kph Zero 10X will hugely exceed any upcoming specs. They advertise it as 3200watts (thirteen times the power of a legal ebike) and it can exceed the speed of a legal moped by 35%. On the other hand electric versions of traditional scooters (think Lambretta, Vespa, Piaggio etc) (with tax, insurance, MOT etc) already slot into existing L3e-A1 class of vehicle and as such are perfectly legal. At 3200watts but with a sealed speed limiter the Zero would have to be in the L1e-B class with electric mopeds (tax, insurance, helmet, MOT etc)... :sleep:
My point was that if you get nicked, its big time - riding a motorcycle without insurance, without tax, without an MOT, riding a motocycle without an approved helmet, riding an unregistered vehicle, riding with illegal tyres for a motorcycle, and more... penalties could affect your working life really badly.
But we're all grown-ups and its nowt to do wi' me ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Something like that zero with a restriction on the speed and power would have great range. But alas will never get type approval and if your caught would be put straight in the boot of a police car, never to be seen again.

Just to be clear it won't be used on public roads.

Was watching crashes on YouTube last night :eek: Now having second thoughts o_O

Yeah, been looking at proper electric scooters, as in Vespa size. Im sure prices will fall in time but its amazing how a machine with so few moving parts is so expensive. :(

Back