Zone central heating and smart radiator valves

david173

2017 T6 150PS SWB Kombi, work in progress...
VIP Member
T6 Legend
We are looking to purchase a complete set of 'smart' (hate that word but lets not go there) radiator valves and a hub system to enable us to fully control the central heating room by room. especially as we have two young children and need some heat in thier rooms at night but dont want to heat the whole house. Plus when I work from home some days I only want to heat the room im in not the whole house etc etc.
Were are also on bulk LPG so and % saved in heating costs are significant, some manufacturers claim up to 30% reduction but even if its only 20 the system should pay for itself in only a few years plus the added comfort value.

long story short were looking at the following:
Honeywell Evohome
Drayton Wiser
Tado
Hive
Does anyone have any experience with these systems? good or bad would be much appreciated, thanks!

Last edited:
I have fitted the EVE Thermo valves and programmed them in the Home or Eve app.
They work really well.
I have also added eve window contacts to shut the valves if the window or patio door is open etc.

I have fitted the EVE Thermo valves and programmed them in the Home or Eve app.
They work really well.
I have also added eve window contacts to shut the valves if the window or patio door is open etc.
Thanks @Loz ill also take a look into that brand

I have the tado and really like it. You set up the phones of those in the household and the it uses the location to put heatin on and off when you go away so brings much more efficiency than just a timer. Had it in a couple of houses.

Not used the radiator valves yet though as just have 2 thermostats for main heating and underfloor in an extension but assume they’d just work the same and add more benefit. Nice and simple to work too

We have the Drayton system..for 2 reasons..it works via opentherm so can modulate our boiler and you can get signal extenders. We had an issue with 1 of the TRV's (we have 12) but their support is really good and the issue was sorted over the phone.

Thank you all for your input, much appreciated.
As an update we have gone with the Drayton wiser. £400 cheaper than the honeywell and the app is rated better. Only difference is it doesn't come with an mini ipad type controller its all done off the app which suits me. Plumbers merchant who stock both advised honeywell have increased thier priced significantly with post covid isues etc etc.

Also drayton is made in the uk and has uk support helpline, thats a plus for me!

Back