What do I need? Front elevation/windows issue

Jay586

T6 Guru
I know this is a van forum but there are some handy folk here...

What or whom do I need to fix a droopy front elevation? The house is brick and tile, very solid but for some unknown reason, the box windows are brick below the living room and plywood with a tile cladding above. This has sunk when the windows were last changed and there's visible cracking along both sides of the box window in the upstairs bedroom box.

It's never really bothered us as the cracks look fairly stable but the thin wall area isn't good for heat retention (no insulation at all) and the living room is poxy cold in winter. There's a chance we may have to move as the neighbours have sold up so I'm starting to addess things that might be a massive red flag to buyers.

What do we need to start to fix this? A builder, a structural engineer or an architect? Does it require building regs plans?

Above the bedroom window is a gable and that's been replaced as it was paper-thin cedar shingles, so that's relatively stable.

I'd start with a reputable local builer, if they're worth their salt it shouldn't be an issue for them to sort and they'll know when or if a structural engineer is needed.

Ta, that's what I was thinking. I've never needed anything that might be structural before, so was wondering about the correct order.

Cheers.

Generally when this sort of thing was built new, the ground floor window frame was an integral part of the structure. If the windows have been replaced with uPVC, they are not designed to be load bearing at all. This is what will be causing the sag.

There are a number of ways of putting this right, but it's difficult to advise the best/cost effective way without seeing it. I have a surveyor colleague that is up in Colwyn Bay every other week, so let me know if you want some advice.

Back