Anyone managed 4 berth without pop top ?

Err, yes! The space available just isn't enough, which is what I suspect the outcome would be if you tried sleeping 4 people in a SWB with no pop top. (Although somebody might prove me wrong!)

Two adults and two young’ish kids is technically possible with one standard van seat/bed and a double cab bunk. However, I wouldn’t recommend it for anything other than the odd night...

Two adults and two young’ish kids is technically possible with one standard van seat/bed and a double cab bunk. However, I wouldn’t recommend it for anything other than the odd night...
Double cab bunk not seen them will have a look into it thanks

We’ve got 2 kids (who were 6 and 9 at the time) and we were camping in a 45 mph wind so i pulled the roof down. We tried to cram in the bed but it didn’t work. One of us sat on the double bench and the rest in the bed. It was awful.

Last edited:
Can't see how this would work. I fit me and two kids on a homemade kombi bed, had the dog in there too. But definitely no room for a 4th unless they want to kip in a chair!

Its possible imo but only with a very specific combination and big compromises:
  • Cabbunk or similar for 1 child in front
  • Full width bed (not 3/4) for 2 adults, 1 kid on a rock and roll
  • Exterior storage eg awning for the stuff that wont fit in van given # people
Uncomfortable, no inside storage and likely not a fun experience but for a night or 2 - at a push possible imo.

Its possible imo but only with a very specific combination and big compromises:
  • Cabbunk or similar for 1 child in front
  • Full width bed (not 3/4) for 2 adults, 1 kid on a rock and roll
  • Exterior storage eg awning for the stuff that wont fit in van given # people
Uncomfortable, no inside storage and likely not a fun experience but for a night or 2 - at a push possible imo.
This is us at the minute (kids are 5 and 8) Hence it's booked to have a pop top next April! We've managed 3 nights max. Luckily my anal retentive space management ocd helps.

We have a pop top and whenever we’ve tried to do stuff like cooking (we have a rear kitchen) it a) makes my back ache being hunched over and b) does my head in (probably because my back aches).

We have a pop top and whenever we’ve tried to do stuff like cooking (we have a rear kitchen) it a) makes my back ache being hunched over and b) does my head in (probably because my back aches).

A distinct case of failing to take sufficient beer before cooking, I'd guess!

Back