Anyone Know Of Any T6 3d Computer Models?

Mistuk

Air-Traffic Controller
VIP Member
T6 Pro
Hi there,

Anyone know of any computer models of a T6 SWB that you can download into a 3d modelling package to help plan out a conversion?

Thanks

Kevin

Reactions: CJW
Morning Kevin,

Did you get any joy in your search? I'm in the midst of doing the same thing.

Regards,

Dale

Me too, but my last search didn't really get anything, other than a 2D pack from VW, which is almost certainly a ripped PDF, as it has no layers, etc, etc. So is a bit of a nightmare to work with.

I'll eventually get round to making a model out of it, but paying work always takes preference (as it pays for the van!!)

Someone needs to loan or hire one of thoses 3D laser scanners we see on tv archaeologists use and place it inside the van and scan it..

Someone needs to loan or hire one of thoses 3D laser scanners we see on tv archaeologists use and place it inside the van and scan it..
They'll only give you an STL file anf all you can do is interesct the surfaces to cut sections, you would still need to model surfaces over them and that will be the very time consuming part!

I've had a look on an online automotive company that tears down vehicles so we as automotive engineers can use the data for evaluation and benchmarking purposes, unfortunatly the Transporter isn't on there, the vehicles that have been stripped do have the body in white scanned and available which seems to be what you're after for the T6.

what kind of model?
i would suggest taking a look at youtube and sketchup,
there are a few tutorials how to use the manufacturer plans to create the models
the problem with the free version is the export. disabled, so will remain a sketchup model.
or export as stl for 3d printing with stl exporter designed for 3d printing

what kind of model?
i would suggest taking a look at youtube and sketchup,
there are a few tutorials how to use the manufacturer plans to create the models
the problem with the free version is the export. disabled, so will remain a sketchup model.
or export as stl for 3d printing with stl exporter designed for 3d printing

Depending on what software everyone is using (I'm Inventor based), a STEP file is normally the most useful for "proper" CAD. Sketchup is fine for 3D printing, but not much cop for manufacture really.

inventor is great. might be able to do it iun Fusion for free. and export free/easily?
using the same technique
i think greg virgoe did that on his spinter youtube channel too
tiny bit more complicated than sketchup

A laser scanner will output point cloud data, you could slice the data at regular intervals, say 20mm to make a usable 3D AutoCad dwg.

Turbosquid is the place to look. Various T6 models to choose from. Expensive if you were expecting them to be free, but good value considering the work involved to make them.

Watch out for the formats available. I’m a 3D animator using C4D, happy to help with file conversions if I can.

Last edited:
Turbosquid is the place to look. Various T6 models to choose from. Expensive if you were expecting them to be free, but good value considering the work involved to make them.

Watch out for the formats available. I’m a 3D animator using C4D, happy to help with file conversions if I can.

Those models are great if you want to do a fancy animation or render with a transporter in it, but basically useless for designing a camper layout. What you would need is a 3D scan of the inside of one, and then for someone to spend the requisite amount of time to convert it from a point cloud into a useful solid model to then use.

Those models are great if you want to do a fancy animation or render with a transporter in it, but basically useless for designing a camper layout. What you would need is a 3D scan of the inside of one, and then for someone to spend the requisite amount of time to convert it from a point cloud into a useful solid model to then use.

Yep, it's a lot of work.. I was contemplating starting something but i know it's just going to barrel-roll :rolleyes:

Krystian Oziebly from grabCAD community has built this in Solidworks : Free CAD Designs, Files & 3D Models | The GrabCAD Community Library
I will be looking into taking this from Solidworks to various other formats and interrogating the accuracy within the next few weeks so will keep you all and anyone else that comes across this forum up to date.

An update on this one.
The model from Krystian is great however some things to know :
  • Model is a T6 long wheel base with sliding doors on both sides.
  • The wheel arches are fairly well located however the height and shape is slightly off (see attached).
  • The internal ceiling height is not the same as the VW technical drawings (see attached).
  • Some of the internal profiles are slightly off.
  • The rear door consists of a lip to the sill (not shown on the technical drawings).
The is only scratching the surface when it comes to interrogating this model.
Although the model is detailed and consists of all of the forms you typically find in a VW transporter T6 Long Wheel base, I require a model of the short wheel base and particular dimensions to be accurate, including the profiles of the wheel arches.

I'll continue the search. Please let me know if you guys find any other model(s) that look like they could have well detailed and accurate internals.

SCREENGRAB OF INTERIOR SHELL WITH VW CAD DRAWING INTERLACED.png

INTERROGATING WHEEL ARCH.png

INTERROGATING HEIGHTS.png

We have designs and something as simple a a cnc cut floor will be tight to wheel arch on one van and 5mm gap on another. Each same van is slighly different. We design and adjust to each van. Unless of course you are happy with gaps.... :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I scanned the interior of T6.1 furgon with Leica RTC360 laser scanner from two positions, interior and under the tailgate. Scans are 100% aligned and merged together. Original pointcloud is 6Gb with more than 220M points!!
I filtered and deleted some "noise" and reduced the model to 13M points (~200Mb) in order to upload it to Sketchfab.
pt.jpg

Download link on my T6.1 4motion camper conversion page.

Last edited:
Back