Any ideas for mounting a cargo hold high up?

One of the things I like to put in the van are a pair of bicycles so the misses and I can drive into London on a Saturday and pedal along the canals.
In the past I've just used a ratchet tie down and strung one end to the off side front cargo hangar and hooked the other end into the gap above the door that I presume is to mount the hinges for the "up and over" hatch. (Mine has barn doors)
This keeps the bikes snug against the side.

But has anyone any ideas for fitting something more appropriate in that hole?

Could you fit some small 'D-Rings to the structal braces of the roof?. E.g where the hardboard roof lining is fixed?.
D shackles?.

Or even some 'eye screws' to create a pulley system to raise/lower the flat bikes?.

Just a thought, if I understand you right?.

Hi Fish,
Gosh you are way ahead of me here ... I just lay them to the side of the van wall and put a strap under the pedals .. I was not thinking of hanging them flat from the roof.
Good idea.
I was not sure what D rings are ...
I've just found a "Ring on Plate" at Screwfix that may well do the job if I can fix it with some self tappers.
Cheers ...
I'm getting a bit regular down Screwfix these days, I can hear them murmer "Not im agin!"

So much to play with.

Just thought it may still ctate alittle room underneath for items?.

Plates will work, just short screws if you go that route, or rivet them on for more perm fixing?.

Wow! Thanks guys I'll have a look at those links later.
I must not get too carried away ... this is supposed to be a working van .... but I must admit I'm treating like a bit of a toy.

I had a loverly old Type 2 back in the early seventies that was inspired by the American Van culture at time ... They had deep shag pile carpets all over the inside of theirs with swivel front seats and V8 mills.
Mine was more Fablon and me mums old carpet, but shag it did.

I'll look into those links a bit later.

Used to fit two bikes diagonally across the boot in our old Cali: used roof straps around the seat posts and rear headrests to secure them. We've now got a rear bike rack!

A mate runs a bike business and has mounts fitted to the floor of his van; very tidy and secure.

As iv been kitting out my van and thinking similar things with regards to hanging heavy things off the sides and roof, I have come to this idea ....

Using the L-shaped brackets that are used to plug the panels to the sides and roof of the van.....

Remove all plastic screws & plugs (with 3mm allen key)
Remove ply lining
Using M5 Or M6 Pan headed bolts, approx 20mm long, feed them through the back of the L brackets.
Replace ply lining allowing the bolts to come through existing holes
Washer
Nut

Hey presto, You've got showing threaded rod which you can attach a number of things to and are securely attached to the vans bodywork

Hi Louis,
This sound quite interesting.
I'll have to have a closer look at mine in daylight.
I cant remember exactly how it goes from memory.

Thank the other guys as well, this seems to be the more appropriate solution for me as I just casually stack the bikes in the van.

Back