Any caravaners on here? Incline parking question

Jimmi

Television Lighting Engineer
T6 Guru
We’ve just bought a house that we’re going to renovate. To keep the budget down we’re living in it while we do it. Having a caravan on the drive would help out massivley. But…… the drive is quite sloped (not sure of the exact angle) I’d say it drops about 2’ over 20’. Is it possible to park and use a caravan on this?

We’ve just bought a house that we’re going to renovate. To keep the budget down we’re living in it while we do it. Having a caravan on the drive would help out massivley. But…… the drive is quite sloped (not sure of the exact angle) I’d say it drops about 2’ over 20’. Is it possible to park and use a caravan on this?
Yes. We've been on sites with bigger drops, although they are usually flat.

Just make sure it's safely propped

They have a fair amount of adjustment in to level them out with the legs. Depending on the slope, you might have the rear of the 'van' almost touching the ground and the front legs at full stretch up on blocks. If this is the case, I'd support it under the wheels as well. As a tip, it's quicker and easier to adjust the front to back slope with the jockey wheel, even if it means winding it right up, taking the weight with a front leg, dropping the jockey wheel, then winding it up further.

It's best to have it level, otherwise the waste water won't drain properly and you'll roll out of bed.

Also, unless you already have it, try to get a caravan with a mover. They can be a bugger to reverse up a steep slope, as the hitch will compress and put the brakes on when you are trying to manoeuvre it.

We stayed on a site where the jockey wheel and steadies were jacked up on big chocks of wood about 4ft high and the rear of the caravan was touching the ground.

I’d agree with comments about motor mover- well worth the money. Most will say on spec what gradient they can work against.

It’s a big drop, but it can be accommodated. Just chock your wheels too

Back