Any BMW 5 series owners?

Kev23

QA Engineer
T6 Guru
anyone here own a 5 series? around 2018/19? looking to purchase an M sport 530D, just wondered if any look out points?

anyone here own a 5 series? around 2018/19? looking to purchase an M sport 530D, just wondered if any look out points?

I've owned a 530D and a 335D and they were both fantastic cars. The 335 was a beast. Both M-Sports, but that's only really the spec of the car.

I only have 2 negatives from my BMW days and first is only because I purchased mine as 6 month old cars, but they dropped an eye watering amount of value in the short times I owned mine, but again, that's because I only kept them for short periods.

Second, and this is something you will know already if you have owned BMWs with the bigger more powerful engines. Choose tyres carefully. They are a nightmare in the wet on crap tyres and the short periods of snow we have in the UK, a BMW will not move off your drive unless you have full winter tyres. I learnt the hard way.
Brilliant cars though.

530d owner (just sold) but older model.

Tax disc cost fortune.
Insurance wasn't cheap.
ULEZ if 8n London.

530D owner (just given notice to hand the keys back), previously 520D owner. Can't fault the 5-series Touring...except MPG on the 520D, book figures a total work of fiction. Waiting for BMW's diesel-gate.

Enjoy!

(Previously an A6 owner. Wouldn't go back)

Now the T6 will replace it. Things I'll miss...the seats. And heated steering wheel, head-up display, heated seats, stereo, sat nav... :rolleyes:

I currently have a 430d Gran Coupe M Sport and the 3ltr engine is dream, so smooth and fast, I’m really going to miss it when I have to get rid next year to make way for camper. This is the second BMW I’ve owned, first was a 520d F10. The 430 was 4 years old when I got it and it’s been quite reasonable to run and super reliable. A few niggles this year since I was furloughed and now unemployed, I've only driven it a 1000 miles since March and the battery is suffering with very short trips, the brake discs are corroding with little use and I have to take it to Sytner’s tomorrow because the TPMS has failed. Cars like this, and in general, prefer to be driven several thousand miles a year and not left to stand for weeks on end. If I hadn’t been getting the camper, however, I was definitely going to get another BMW or maybe a mini clubman JCW.
If it were me and still employed I’d definitely get it on PCP or lease from the likes of Select Car Leasing, then you don’t have to care about depreciation

I was definitely going to get another BMW or maybe a mini clubman JCW.
The only good thing about the mini is that the zoom on the sat nav went the right way (clockwise to zoom in). Otherwise, mystifyingly it is not a mini (small) car, hence pointless to me. Better small cars available. Anyway, I digress...

The only good thing about the mini is that the zoom on the sat nav went the right way (clockwise to zoom in). Otherwise, mystifyingly it is not a mini (small) car, hence pointless to me. Better small cars available. Anyway, I digress...
I know the BMW Mini has been rather divisive but having been loaned them by Sytner I like them, and the new JCW range has 300hp

I know the BMW Mini has been rather divisive but having been loaned them by Sytner I like them, and the new JCW range has 300hp
That does sound fun. I only test drove one but didn't get it, so not much to base it on.

I have an F10 LCI so a couple years older than you are looking at but I love it, I was lucky and managed to get a really good specced one that has all sorts of cameras and assist systems that I find very good, it’s a good place to spend time very comfortable etc
Can’t comment on the engine as mine is petrol but the only thing I don’t like about mine is the factory sat nav, is clunky and a bit crap to use and mine pre dates any CarPlay options so currently debating an aftermarket unit to add better phone connectivity but that’s the only negative from me (and not a very big one really)

I'm not sure I agree with that. I have 2 Mini's in my double garage as we speak. One is my daughters early 2013 Mini, and the other is my wife's 2018 Mini Cooper S, and although the Cooper has more spoilers and splitters and bigger bumpers, it's actually pretty much the same size as the older Mini side by side, but they are both 3 door versions.
As for how good they are, I think they are brilliant cars. The 2013 is a one owner 30k mile car, in a rare automatic. It drives like new, no rattles or knocks, and although it's only a 1.6 standard petrol, it goes ok, but handles like a go-cart. The Cooper is a different animal. This is also auto, but the much better new box. This thing as a pure hoon. It's way more than my wife needs, but whack it in Sport and it spits and backfires like an old school hot hatch. It's really quick and a bucket load of fun. I love Mini's and would love to own a Clubvan if I had the room.

I’ve had a 2014 535d M Sport Touring for 3 years and covered about 50,000 miles. Comfortable and quick. Run flat tyres are expensive. If you like your music, get the Harman Karman upgrade, if still relevant for the more recent reg.

I'm not sure I agree with that. I have 2 Mini's in my double garage as we speak. One is my daughters early 2013 Mini, and the other is my wife's 2018 Mini Cooper S, and although the Cooper has more spoilers and splitters and bigger bumpers, it's actually pretty much the same size as the older Mini side by side, but they are both 3 door versions.
As for how good they are, I think they are brilliant cars. The 2013 is a one owner 30k mile car, in a rare automatic. It drives like new, no rattles or knocks, and although it's only a 1.6 standard petrol, it goes ok, but handles like a go-cart. The Cooper is a different animal. This is also auto, but the much better new box. This thing as a pure hoon. It's way more than my wife needs, but whack it in Sport and it spits and backfires like an old school hot hatch. It's really quick and a bucket load of fun. I love Mini's and would love to own a Clubvan if I had the room.
I had a Countryman for the day last year with sport mode. It was only a basic Cooper with a 1.5l 3 cylinder but it didn’t half go in sport. I would’ve loved to have a go in an S but hey ho

thanks for the answers folks, that's given me some food for thought. I've never owned bmw before and this was just an idea i was contemplating, perhaps a bit more research before taking the plunge

I have had couple and a T6, the BMW is fast and remarkably cheap to service, pretty reliable to be fair and no ad blue issues! tyres are expensive and I don' t like run flats.

They do depreciate but no worse than, Audi or Mercedes so can't really help that.

Currently on an a4 (and T6) but going back to a 320d next time whilst I still can buy diesel.....

thanks for the answers folks, that's given me some food for thought. I've never owned bmw before and this was just an idea i was contemplating, perhaps a bit more research before taking the plunge

You can't go wrong , on my 3rd one now its a G31, had a F11 and an F10 as well, one with I would say is get a service pack , make sure you BMW connected all updated and subscriptions sorted out as part of the deal , also check those polished alloys for corrosion I've had 6 replaced on my current G31 plus the usual stuff on used cars !

Another + for Bmw`s.
I've had a 335d for 4 years and a 635d for 3 years. Took the 635 through France and Italy this year, and its a joy to drive. Very economical yet super quick when its needed.
I have had no issues other than a air con pump failed, out of warranty which Bmw paid for the part, and I had to contribute to labour.

Back