Alloy Wheel Issues ?

Andrew Trott

Sorry if this has been posted before, I couldn't see all the answers elsewhere.

I am looking to change the stock wheels on my T6 Kombi, and as well as the ride issue to consider, I have been informed of the following as well, and don't know if its really an issue.

Firstly I've been told that ALL 20" Wheels rub on the wheel arch at full lock, is this true ? Is it only on vans that have been lowered a certain amount ? My van has had the OEM VW lowering springs, 30mm only.

Secondly a few people have mentioned to me that changing the Alloys to a non VW alloy would invalidate my insurance and warranty... I'm guessing a change of alloys should be checked in with my insurance anyway.
A few of you mentioned on another post that the warranty should be ok, so long at the total rolling circumference hasn't increased too much. anybody heard this before ?

After reading many posts, they seems to recommend 18s for playing it safe in ride comfort, and 20s for style, but doesn't that really just say 19s are the best compromise, or is there a Ride issue with 19s ?

Thanks for reading

Andy

IMG_9098.JPG

Do all 20" wheels and tyres rub on full lock? No - it will depend on the tyre profile and by how much the van has been lowered.

If you change your alloys for a non-standard set of alloys then yes it is advisable to tell your insurance company. If you modify the stock suspension then yes it is advisable to tell your insurance company.

Warranty? I guess it depends who you talk to...many differing comments on this one.

Will a different set of alloys invalidate your warranty? Unlikely. If you are worried or concerned about potential warranty issues then leave things as they are.

T5's and T6's have been tweaked, modded, lowered, upgraded, converted and have covered many millions of miles. Fundamentally it's a pretty robust platform.

I'm running a 40mm drop on H&R lowering springs with 275/40 tyres on 20" alloys - IMHO I think it rides/drives better than stock and it looks great. If something breaks, fails or goes wrong I'll deal with it when and if that happens.

Read the forums, gather information/knowledge and make a decision based on what you want to achieve. Simples :)

Last edited by a moderator:
A 16", 17", 18", 19" and 20" wheel and tyre may all have the same total outside dimensions. The difference is that as the wheel gets larger, the tyre gets smaller to compensate.
More details available here: Will They Fit - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator
It starts getting more complex when you consider width and then offset into the equation.
As a general rule, ride will get firmer as the wheel size increases.

A 16", 17", 18", 19" and 20" wheel and tyre may all have the same total outside dimensions. The difference is that as the wheel gets larger, the tyre gets smaller to compensate.
More details available here: Will They Fit - Online Wheel and Tyre Fitment Calculator
It starts getting more complex when you consider width and then offset into the equation.
As a general rule, ride will get firmer as the wheel size increases.

Beware
If you do look at wheels n tyres and springs
Check what load rating your van has first t28-t30-t32 this will dramatically change availablity if it's a t32
If you want it fully road legal

My old T5, 275/40/20 tyres, lowered on Vmaxx coilovers rubbed on full lock. Wasn't too much of a problem as only used full lock at slow speeds and also had an understanding MOT tester. Sticking to 18's this time.

BTW, someone one here mentioned using a heat gun for the arch liners, but mine was rubbing on metal.

My old T5, 275/40/20 tyres, lowered on Vmaxx coilovers rubbed on full lock. Wasn't too much of a problem as only used full lock at slow speeds and also had an understanding MOT tester. Sticking to 18's this time.

BTW, someone one here mentioned using a heat gun for the arch liners, but mine was rubbing on metal.

Hi
Yes I was told it could rub on chassis and would have to take liners out and bend metal also !!!
All depends of what off set the wheels you like have which are then load rated for t32 !!
I need to find some 19" that fit the bill

Hi all, I'm thinking of buying some 19x9.5 ET35 (all-round) with 255/40/19 tyres ....my question is this.....would they rub anywhere and most importantly would 9.5on the front stick out?

@Phantom are your's ET35? and I need to run 45 profiles tyres as it's a T32 and need 103 or above load rating. Have you got any photos of yours on here?

Thanks everyone for the replies. very useful, but I still really don't know which way to actually go with wheel size ! I guess ill have to stop analysing and just go for something !

Thanks everyone for the replies. very useful, but I still really don't know which way to actually go with wheel size ! I guess ill have to stop analysing and just go for something !

I can't wait to find the right 19" wheel so I can fit 40 profile load rated tyre !!! I just hope B14's with 19" doesn't make the right horrible in the back

I've got mine booked in for B14s on the 17th July so now under pressure to decide on a size and style of wheel....i keep finding 20s I like but don't want the rubbing issue as I use full lock everyday getting in and out of the local NCP....so looks like I'm going to go 19x9.5 et35 with 255/45/19 load rated tyres.

I've been told that for a class 7 MOT the alloy load rating is not a failure only the tyre rating is checked......this might open up a few more choices....but then it's down to personal choice against risk I suppose....personally I'm going to stick with the 860kgs + with 103+ load rated tyres for mine...

I've been told that for a class 7 MOT the alloy load rating is not a failure only the tyre rating is checked......this might open up a few more choices....but then it's down to personal choice against risk I suppose....personally I'm going to stick with the 860kgs + with 103+ load rated tyres for mine...

I'm not worried about MOT I've got three years before that issue and it's not an issue you put the old ones on when you get the MOT done
It's more if you have a bad accident and the insurance company find faults

I'm not worried about MOT I've got three years before that issue and it's not an issue you put the old ones on when you get the MOT done
It's more if you have a bad accident and the insurance company find faults

If anybody has any pictures of 19" wheels that are load rated to 860kg I would appreciate seeing them

I've got mine booked in for B14s on the 17th July so now under pressure to decide on a size and style of wheel....i keep finding 20s I like but don't want the rubbing issue as I use full lock everyday getting in and out of the local NCP....so looks like I'm going to go 19x9.5 et35 with 255/45/19 load rated tyres.
Where are you booked into for B14's ?

I've already got aftermarket wheels and lowered suspension covered in my insurance I guess I need to read the small print to see if it mentions anything regarding load ratings etc...for me it's more about safety than anything else

Back