Air filter assembly question 0

AussieMick

T6 Guru
Is the switch marked 1 the mass air flow switch and no 2 the turbo boost switch. 20211121_094956.jpg
Just trying to educate myself. Thanks.

Thanks for the reply.
So they are sensors not switches , that makes sense.
Are they monitoring amount of air and temperature of air going to the turbo?

It's meant to show when air filter is blocked, but from what I have read its not very reliable. Has 75% and 100% markers

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.
So they are sensors not switches , that makes sense.
Are they monitoring amount of air and temperature of air going to the turbo?
Yes, the air flow through the engine via the turbocharger/s. The mass won’t change after the MAF but the temperature will due to compression in the turbocharger/s
There are more pressure and temperature sensors after the turbocharger/s and a further pressure sensor at the intake manifold.
The more dense the air entering the cylinders the more fuel can be injected for optimum (stoichiometric) combustion).
In order to increase the air density the air discharged from the turbocharger/s passes through the intercooler or charge cooler (depending on model) where it is cooled.
Fuel temperature and pressure is also measured as temperature with affect the density and therefore the mass injected.

(P1 x V1) / T1 = (P2 x V2) / T2

P; Pressure, V; Volume, T; Temperature, 1; example at air inlet, 2; example at discharge from charge cooler.

There’s quite a few self study manuals and plenty more under the VIP section and https://cardiagn.com/

Last edited:
Is the switch marked 1 the mass air flow switch and no 2 the turbo boost switch. View attachment 137088
Just trying to educate myself. Thanks.

1637499745606.png

1637499759875.png

1: G70 - Air mass meter (including G42 Intake air temperature sender) - 5pin

1637499886749.png

1637499898795.png

++++++++++++++++++++

2: GX9 (includes G71 Intake manifold pressure sender) - 3pin

1637499684948.png

so

1 is Intet air temp and mass air flow.

2 is Intake manifold pressure