air con - what exactly is going on...when on?

minmax89

VIP Member
T6 Pro
What is actually happening when you switch on the air con? I have standard stuff, not climate control or anything.

When I get in the van at the end of a hot day and it stifling in the cab, I turn the temp right down, switch on the blower to about 3, and press the air con button. I've never had a vehicle with aircon before. but after about 4 minutes of driving, a second louder fan comes on somewhere under the glove box. Why is that then?
Also, when I put it into reverse, some fan under the dash again goes into turbo mode! Its all a bit bizarre. Can anyone explain to me what is going on?
One final question is how do I know if my air con is working in tip top form? As in, getting as cold as it should.

Thanks!
Adam

When you reverse, it automatically turns on recirculation mode so it recycles the air in the cab via a flap valve, to avoid sucking in exhaust fumes. The tone of the fan changes when this happens. :thumbsup:

It sounds like the fan is going into re-circulation mode automatically.
Does the light on the switch for this come on ?

Pete

When you reverse, it automatically turns on recirculation mode so it recycles the air in the cab via a flap valve, to avoid sucking in exhaust fumes. The tone of the fan changes when this happens. :thumbsup:
Wow I’ve always assumed mine had a random fault never even considered that

It sounds like the fan is going into re-circulation mode automatically.
Does the light on the switch for this come on ?

Pete
No, no light comes on. I'm not sure I even have a light on the recurculation button? Will check today.

Ahhh! Thanks! I thought it might have been that alright.

Got a pic of the buttons?

Heres ours.

20200817_071611.jpg

It will automatically switch to recirculation if it needs, it will not put the light on in these circumstances

It will automatically switch to recirculation if it needs, it will not put the light on in these circumstances
It seems that this is correct. Also after a test just now it seems you cannot switch on the recirculation when the AC is on

It seems that this is correct. Also after a test just now it seems you cannot switch on the recirculation when the AC is on
You can use the re-circ with the AC but just not when it’s pointing at the windscreen (for demist)

As it’s on the windscreen, it won’t allow recirculation. Try it in a different position.

So it seems your ac is on when the lights on but it also can be on when it’s off. The recirc is on with the switch unless it’s off with the ac on which maybe also off. Cheers VW it’s all so clear now

So it seems your ac is on when the lights on but it also can be on when it’s off. The recirc is on with the switch unless it’s off with the ac on which maybe also off. Cheers VW it’s all so clear now

Sounds about right. I have had other cars where the vehicle would take control of the aircon and recirculation, but at least it told me it was doing this, by turning the relevant lights on.

Pete

Back