Air-Con question re: windscreen

T6ARF

Matt
VIP Member
T6 Legend
Hello folks,

I have a question for you clever people about my air conditioning? I’ve had a look through the search section, but can’t seem to get an answer on this one.
I’ve had my van for just over a year now, and although I’ve not done a lot of miles to date, I’ve noticed that when driving in the warmer months (ie now) the hot/cold blower blows very cold air without the A/C on!? So much so in fact that I never use the A/C. But I’ve often wondered if something isn’t quite right.... how can it blow such cold air when the outside temperature is 25 degrees +!?
I’ve also noticed today after a drive, that something was dripping under the van.... now I know that this is a common sight if you’ve had the A/C on, but I hadn’t and when I popped the bonnet to check, it was dripping from the the little black spout....(I found from another thread that this is the air con drain) picture below
DBA5F004-3257-4403-B24D-24E1342EACC8.jpeg
So why was this dripping if the A/C was off.... and how can it get so cold if the A/C truly is off??
Any help would be much appreciated, thank you :thumbsup:

Yeh. AC is on surly?

Got s pic of the AC controls when the engine is running.

Note window direction airflow turns on AC automaticly

Is the compressor clutch stuck on ‘engaged’? It should click when engaging and disengaging.

That’s interesting Loz, not specifically looked at the T6 one. I’m only going on my prior knowledge on them. Must have a peek under mine sometime.... :thumbsup:

Yeh. AC is on surly?

Got s pic of the AC controls when the engine is running.

Note window direction airflow turns on AC automaticly
2374677C-AFB0-4F42-9A05-29D304B872D9.jpegD13A447C-1A74-417E-A039-9D6888F71C62.jpeg
Started the engine and took the first picture.... switched the A/C on and took the second picture? Definite change in engine note when the A/C was switched on?

The test method is with a thermometer.

Measure outside ambient temp.

Measure center blower vent temp with no AC just cold air.

Temp should be similar to external temp.

Now switch on AC, wait 30sec, measure vent air temp..... it should be 10-20 degrees below external temp...

Switch off AC, wait 30sec. Air vent temp should return to external temp.

Same with heating.... etc.

Retry test...

With blower position set here

Screenshot_20200810-165826_Chrome.jpg

The test method is with a thermometer.

Measure outside ambient temp.

Measure center blower vent temp with no AC just cold air.

Temp should be similar to external temp.

Now switch on AC, wait 30sec, measure vent air temp..... it should be 10-20 degrees below external temp...

Switch off AC, wait 30sec. Air vent temp should return to external temp.

Same with heating.... etc.
Thanks @Dellmassive, but honestly, I don’t need a thermometer, there’s a real difference between the outside air temperature and that of the cold air blower.... it’s like a fridge.... and that’s with the A/C apparently ‘off’!? :thumbsup:

Another quick test if A/c is on or not....... Lift bonnet, see if the bigger of the A/c pipes is "sweating"....If A/c is off, both pipes will be dry to touch...............sounds like it's working to me if it's that cold....

Another quick test if A/c is on or not....... Lift bonnet, see if the bigger of the A/c pipes is "sweating"....If A/c is off, both pipes will be dry to touch...............sounds like it's working to me if it's that cold....
Thanks @Bruntonpasty.... I’m in no doubt that the air con works, but the question is, is it on all the time even if I press the button and turn it off?

If your sure its suck on..

Then you need to scan for codes.... with vcds or carista or other....

Then deal with the codes...

Ie with vcds you can read the ac pressure, temps etc to see whats going on.

Failing all the ask vw to check it over 4 u.

Retry test...

With blower position set here

View attachment 80942
Just started the engine with the blower direction set as you said above.... blower temp definitely warmer than previous test and more that of the outside temp.... turned on the A/C and again, engine note changed and the revs went up as the compressor kicks in.... blower temp got a lot colder.... I then turned the A/C off, but the engine revs stayed the same and the temp remained cold!? Could something be stuck or sticking??:rolleyes:

Back