Air con help required please

Big T

Hi all,
Could anyone help with a problem I have with the aircon on my 2013 T5.1 2.0 tdi.
When I first start the van the air con seems to working ok reading about 8 degrees at the vents inside on the coldest setting. Once it's been running a while the air is getting warmer upto about 20 degrees.
The compressor seems to be working as the pipes are getting cold up to the expansion valve at the bulkhead. Reading 4 degrees. The gas in the system is at a good level too.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

Big T

Could the heater be stuck on ‘warm’ so that when when the van (and coolant) is cold, the air con is cold, but as the coolant warms up, the heater is blending hot air with the output? That’d be my first check.

Are they cable or electronic controls for the heating on the T5.1?

Hi,
The controls aren't the cable type no.
The heater control appears to be working as the temperature does alter.

Odd. So you say that the refrigerant pipe going to the cabin is cold? It’s somewhere after that then...

you might need a Diagnostics session what can read all the PIDS,

ie,

int/ext temps,
solar intensity,
AC clutch,
gas pressure, before/after compressor,
AC demand %,
Blend doors position

any of the above will effect the AC output.

does it work ok when driving along? (vs stationary?)

i had a similar issue on a BMW, it was caused by the AC rad fan at the front not working . . . which caused the AC rad to overheat and shut down the AC, it was ok when driving due to airflow.

Replacement fan resolved the problem on that one.

does it work ok when driving along? (vs stationary?)

i had a similar issue on a BMW, it was caused by the AC rad fan at the front not working . . . which caused the AC rad to overheat and shut down the AC, it was ok when driving due to airflow.

Replacement fan resolved the problem on that one.

Hi,
It starts off cool then gets warmer after 5 - 10 mins. No better when driving.
The temp up to the expansion valve seems to stay consistent. Which makes me think it might be that that's faulty or some sort of temperature sensor after the valve.

The compressor is the clutchless type and all the pressures are good. Very frustrating.

Booked it in for a diagnostic check on Wednesday I was hoping to sort it myself.

Cheers.

Back