Aftermarket Speakers, Water Ingress, VIDEO

Hi All,
I’ve spent the weekend messing around with my Vibe door speaker, working out how water gets in, where it goes and how to prevent it. I certainly don’t have a definitive answer, but I’ve made a video compiling information I’ve accrued, which will hopefully help people understand what the issue is, and what, potentially, they can do to help prevent it.

Whilst I see what you're are trying to achieve and it's a great effort a few points I want to point out.

1. The hole at the back won't be big enough to allow the speaker to breather properly, needs to be around half the diamete of the speaker and this is a very rough and dirty guideline.

2. You'd interfere with the back wave, causing a reflection that would then interfere with the speakers efficiency and operation. You need you allow the back wave to move from the speaker and then dampen and disperse.

The waterguard is designed to reduce water ingress to the speaker no illuminate it. You shouldn't get that much water in the door with a waterguard fitted that you risk this.

3. We always run the cables in the bottom of the speaker mount. Pop a small hole in the bottom of the waterguard and connect to the speaker. This effectively makes a drip loom so water runs off the wire and not down to the speaker.

4. Lastly the waffle pad you advised not to fit actually helps sound. The kit we use is an open cell foam so doesn't soak up moisture and allows it to pass through and dry out, can't speak for Vibes kit as we don't use any of their kit but I'd imagine it's similar stuff. The idea is the pad dampens and diminishes the back wave rather than let it reflect off the outer door skin. It's a misconception that the anti-vibe mat (silver butyl backed stuff) is sound deadening. It's not. It's the first layer of deadening to stop rattles and vibrations however it is supposed to be used in conjunction with other product with different properties that do the same as the waffle pads to make a door void more suitable as a speaker enclosure.

These aren't to diminish your idea just a few technical aspects that may have been overlooked.

Last edited:
The hole is a bit bigger once I’ve trimmed a bit off like the passenger, though no, not half.
I’d rather interfere with the sound wave than not have the speaker work after six months, and it’s less restrictive than having sound dampening hanging at the back of it. There’s nothing wrong with the amount of water getting in the door. The door is unmolested, they all let that much in. The amount of posts regarding aftermarket speakers packing up and peoples footwells getting wet is a testament to the issue.
To be honest, if I’d known the issue before buying speakers I honestly would have left well alone, but now I have them, I’m going to stop them from being water damaged for as long as possible.
One thing I am learning quickly is, it seems for every 'mod' you carry out, there’s an equally negative side effect to it.

True. However if installed correctly and sound deadening done right there should be no issues. We've fitted countless systems over the years and never had issues with speakers packing in due to water ingress. It's down to the quality of kit you install.

Personally I disagree I'd rather not interfere with the sound wave and let the speaker work as intended otherwise what's the point in upgrading the speakers. It's like putting a Hemi V8 in a fiesta and then sticking and exhaust on it designed for a 1.6 engine, air just isn't gonna flow and choke it potential. But your van your decision.

My point isn't to say it's a bad idea just to give a different view from a professionals aspect. What people choose to do is their prerogative.

Yeah, thanks for your input, maybe you’re right and I should just enjoy the quality sound while it lasts. Next time you do an install, pour some water on the window and see how much water pours in. You can see in my video, my doors no different from anyone else’s. I just can’t see how a speaker can last any amount of time with water continually (in this country) splashing over it.
I’m definitely keeping my old speakers, ready to go back in as soon as required.
As for the waffles, they’re going to divert even more water in, it’s like they’re designed for the job !

Interesting thread and great information from both of you, @General-Monty & @Dav-Tec. My 8" door speaker has failed from water ingress, albeit after about 3 years. I'd made a curved shroud out of sound deadening, stuck on the back side of the door frame, behind and over the speaker that worked well, until it appears to have fallen off. Those rubber sleeves looks good, just ordered these;

I have some 15mm open cell dodo mat acoustic foam left over from an upgrade on a Golf. I'll be installing that one the inside of the door too, as it made a difference mid range in the golf, where the sound at certain frequencies was distinctly mufflled. The Golf has a smaller gap between the back of the speaker and the inside of the outer skin, but did only have 150mm drivers, so will be interesting how much of a difference it makes in the van.

A better option we've recently played with instead of the plastic cone is acoustically transparent hydrophobic speaker grill foam as a circular insert at the back of the waterguard

Back