Advice?

Buggirl

DJ VdubRadio
VIP Member
T6 Legend
so I have the chance of a job in Devon. It would be doing what I am doing now but driving 1,000 miles on average a week and would mean selling my house and relocating to Devon. My job at the min is a bit uncertain and causing me a headache, but I know grass is always greener etc. I have to make a decision soon and wondered what you guys would do?

Pros
I would live in Devon and work for my old boss, better life after work as down south and near the beach. Same money. Work from home a couple of days a week. Exciting new opportunities.
Cons
Driving more, larger area to cover, would have to sell my house and all the hassel that goes with relocating
Been in current industry nearly 20 years so pension would be frozen etc. Uncertainty and probation period (I could be rubbish at new job) other half would have to leave their job. Would leave family and friends behind!

Thoughts?

Had that delemma when I was 53,was fed up with where I was (31 years) and getting no pay disease. Problem was younger people had a better chance than I did with jobs and if I got made redundant chances were less. Saw this new project advertiseing, applied and got the job with two of my friends, we all handed input notice the same day & left. Been there 12 years and happy as the proverbial pig. My advice is not your unhappy find another job and leave, if your not happy in your work then it's not worth doing :)

At the end of the day, you need to make the decision as a family... would your quality of life be appreciatively better all round?

We made a move a few years ago that wasn't quite as bad, and at the time the kids objections were all around school friends. However they've been able to stay in touch with some over Skype/FaceTime, and QOL is considerably better compared to where we were!

Some really good advice already. You can't stay in a job that you are not happy doing as it will destroy you. You must look at the bigger picture as well as associated costs; moving is not cheap, unless you get a works vehicle travel is not cheap, but that can be offset with the working from home. Would your fella be able to relocate immediately or could it be done later? It may be a softer move if you could rent down there whilst your house is being sold, as then you can also be scoping out the areas where you may like to live permanently.
All in all, go for it, there is no point living with regret. You work to live, you don't live to work.
Plus it may mean that you don't have to get up at 5am.

No way you could rent your house out rather than sell so you can go back if the grass isn't greener?

Hi @Buggirl. This has to be a family decision but 10 years ago we decided to move to Brittany for many similar reasons and have no regrets BUT it has to be a unanimous decision as it affects the whole family. So if your income is essential as opposed to desirable then the fact that your current post is uncertain and you are not happy in it anyway then that gives cause to look elsewhere. That the new job would mean working with/for your old boss is fine as long as it was a happy experience and he actively supports a potential move. I would not be so ungracious as to ask your age, but if you have a lengthy working life ahead then QOL is essential in order for you to give of your best and ensure job satisfaction. As to relocation, that is knotty - where do you see a long term future and your retirement location? Are you prepared to rent in Devon and let yours? Can your husband relocate to similar employment and at the same level? Do you have children in education and what stage are they at for exams? A fraught time but nothing in life is certain and this might be an opportunity to improve the family's QOL because you have greater job satisfaction. Plus, you say, there are exciting new opportunities! I suspect you are halfway there!

Last edited:
Perhaps I should have read the post a little more because I could add, do we have and real friends, I used to have loads but now after they went all over the world I have one I could call a a friend who I have known since childhood. Family those we cannot choose, I have none now but my wife's parents decided to move back to Scotland (touch of cutting of those nose to spite their face) so they would have no say in the matter if we moved. At one time I tried to get a service job with my old company in Japan & the US but dipped out. My wife supported me on that (kids were young so had no say) one regret is not encurageing my wife more on a job in the Shetland's but we were both a little unsure on that. in the end it will be your choice on what to do not ours no matter what advice we give.

Thanks for all the advice guys! I have leave now until Wednesday next week so time to reflect and decide. I do love my job I am doing now and I think it's just a change of priorities and a particularly rocky patch that has coincided with this job offer that means I have to be clear why I am thinking of leaving.......am I really wanting to leave and is the job offer all that I think it will be? I am not in a frying pan so don't need to jump in any flames! Just need to decide either way but thanks.

Moved from Hampshire (after 48 years there) to Yorkshire 8 years ago, same money was fed up in my old job, new job is still great, and now pays much more, new friends, new places to find and visit, not homesick at all, just have to plan weekends away to go visit friends and family with the van of course!
It's a difficult decision I know but worked for my family.

From personal experience, you know deep inside what you have to do, especially if you're the main earner, but it must be supported by your other half. My decision to quit a corporate after 21 years coincided with my Absolute.....and felt 100% right and I have not looked back or regretted my move for a second. (My now wife was also very good without pushing).

It's easy to get stuck in a rut, and often bumpy getting out of it, but then the ride gets smoother, and the scenery more interesting with new places to see and people to meet. Good luck with your contemplations, just do what feels right for you and yours, as that is all you can do. Sometimes looking at these things can show you the pluses that you have come to overlook, either way, don't look on the outcome as negative whatever you decide, as you will have given it a lot of thought and searched your hearts for the answer and done the best you can. :thumbsup: In the meantime Merry Christmas, kick back and relax, just decide when sober:whistle:

A deep subject indeed. I am a firm believer of one door closes another opens. Nothing worse than thinking "I should of moved when I had the chance" don't rush selling houses I would rent mine out, rent a new home but before that I would have a few long weekends in the area and see if we liked it as a family and get to know the local area. With regards to your job your only ever a number easy come easy go. I have family and friends with 30+ years employment with same businesses and at a snap of the fingers departments closed and there were laid off. All found new jobs and enjoying new opportunities. Springs in there steps, moods raised and wished they moved jobs years ago but felt trapped.
Don't rush, use your time off to research and perhaps have a trip to the area with the family. Good luck (Devon is rather lovely)

Just think it all through carefully - my family moved from Surrey to Cornwall in 1989 to escape the rat race and have a better quality of life. It was incredibly tough for me aged 14 going from a "posh" school (RGS Guildford) to a local comp and I had a pretty hard first year but it all worked out in the end and I'm very happy we moved.
Just work out your priorities - it's easy to move somewhere really rural then realise you have to drive to get a pint of milk or any essentials. Find somewhere with at least a shop and a pub and reasonable access to decent roads.
The job thing sounds slightly uncertain - worth very careful consideration.

@Polzeylad Your so right on your last point. My wife & I would love to move to Wales but moving would mean leaving what facilities we have, local Tesco and shops, the train station (5 min walk) plus a bus. They aren't points you need to take into consideration. There is another reason that stops us but that is nothing to do with this post. A lot of people jump in with both feet and don't think then regret it, my mother-in -law is good example moving back to Scotland :sneaky:

Never spend life wondering "what-if"...
Go with what you know, find out what you don't and the see which was 'right'..
If its not greener the new opportunities may occur.. but unless you look you'll never know or see them...

My 2 pence.

Back