Advice needed: PMS or not?

Barnstorm

Hi guys. I’d like some advice. I’m about to start the conversion of a 2017 T6 and am scratching my head over the many options for my electrical system.

I have ordered a Renogy DC50S battery to battery charger with MPPT controller. I had this in my last van and was pleased with it. I have also ordered the monitoring screen, so this will tell me everything about both batteries and solar activity without me messing with my phone via Bluetooth (I had the BT module last time and found it a fiddle).

So, my main question is, do I need a sophisticated and costly power management system with fancy control panel, like a CBE or Sargent? Or do I just connect a mains charger, a 12v fuse box and a basic rocker switch panel to turn things off and on? I’ll already have a screen for monitoring batteries, so do I need anything extra?

The only thing I can think of that one of the expensive systems would offer over my simplified system is the ability to protect the battery from excessive discharge. Would a Victron Battery Protect between the fuse box and the battery do the job for me?

All thoughts and advice gratefully received

In a word, no.

We have a mains charger, DC-DC charger and solar charger all connected. They sort themselves out to charge the leisure battery. Some sort of protection to prevent discharge could be a good idea, but we always know the state of the leisure battery through a simple volt meter.

Power from the leisure battery goes through a fuse box, then to switches to power specific things like lights, USB chargers, tap etc. We used CBE panel switches to get a consistent and professional look.

Pete

Thanks, Pete, for the prompt reply.

I thought as much, and I will definitely look at the CBE switch options to make it look pro.

As you say, some sort of battery protection would be good. I've been looking at the capabilities of the Victron Battery Protect gadget. I watched this video on Youtube
and at about 17 minutes in, the guy is turning on his system with a simple rocker switch.

That seems much more elegant than a massive and fairly ugly battery isolator switch. Having a neat on/off switch like this CBE one would look good in my eyes. What do you think?

Thanks

Andrew

That rocker switch is a clever idea, but it isn’t really physically isolating the supply - you are still reliant on that device.

I don’t see the point in an isolator switch. You should have a fuse at the battery, so just pull that out to isolate. We made sure that our main fuses were accessible but not obviously visible.

Pete

I thought as much, and I will definitely look at the CBE switch options to make it look pro.
Unless they changed the design since the ones I bought in 2020, the CBE 12V Cigar Lighter type sockets are abysmal. They were never great, but CBE somehow made them worse.

Reactions: DXX
Hi guys. I’d like some advice. I’m about to start the conversion of a 2017 T6 and am scratching my head over the many options for my electrical system.

I have ordered a Renogy DC50S battery to battery charger with MPPT controller. I had this in my last van and was pleased with it. I have also ordered the monitoring screen, so this will tell me everything about both batteries and solar activity without me messing with my phone via Bluetooth (I had the BT module last time and found it a fiddle).

So, my main question is, do I need a sophisticated and costly power management system with fancy control panel, like a CBE or Sargent? Or do I just connect a mains charger, a 12v fuse box and a basic rocker switch panel to turn things off and on? I’ll already have a screen for monitoring batteries, so do I need anything extra?

The only thing I can think of that one of the expensive systems would offer over my simplified system is the ability to protect the battery from excessive discharge. Would a Victron Battery Protect between the fuse box and the battery do the job for me?

All thoughts and advice gratefully received
Put a lithium battery in the mix with a decent BMS & it’ll protect itself from over discharge. No external gubbins necessary.

Back