Advice - charging battery when not in use.

revdecal

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Looking at buying a 2nd vehicle so my T6 will not necessarily be my daily driver. I will probably keep it at work but it won't be near a power supply to keep the battery topped up.
Any ideas on the best way to keep it charged or isolate the battery so it won't de charge when not in use?
cheers

Get a reasonable quality/wattage one the small ones are mostly decorative.

Also make sure you plug it in to a 12 socket connected to your starter (if you have factory fit second battery) if you are using that method.

How long is the van not moving? You should be fine with 1-2 weeks so long as it gets a decent drive around about that frequency, unless you have things like trackers?

Did you find one that comes with a 12v cig plug? Looks to me like most of these come with just jump leads

Here you go

Oh, I’ve been looking at little 50w dash mount jobbies, just to maintain the starter battery. That would almost double my current solar capacity (although that’s currently only feeding the LB)

Oh, I’ve been looking at little 50w dash mount jobbies, just to maintain the starter battery. That would almost double my current solar capacity (although that’s currently only feeding the LB)
you will only average 1/2 - 2/3rds of the rated output. So don't assume that you're going to get 50W from a 50W panel. More like 25-30 on a good day, especially if it's behind a windscreen.

More info over here....

Looking at buying a 2nd vehicle so my T6 will not necessarily be my daily driver. I will probably keep it at work but it won't be near a power supply to keep the battery topped up.
Any ideas on the best way to keep it charged or isolate the battery so it won't de charge when not in use?
cheers
Do you already have solar on the t6 for the leisure battery?

Do you already have solar on the t6 for the leisure battery?
no mate. on my list ;)

Get a reasonable quality/wattage one the small ones are mostly decorative.

Also make sure you plug it in to a 12 socket connected to your starter (if you have factory fit second battery) if you are using that method.

How long is the van not moving? You should be fine with 1-2 weeks so long as it gets a decent drive around about that frequency, unless you have things like trackers?
Have dash cam and tracker. Just came back from a week away and it wouldn't start at the airport. Luckily I keep a power pack in the van which always jumps it easily enough.

I wouldn’t advise disconnecting the battery as you won’t have an active alarm and this will almost certainly invalidate any insurance claim for theft.

I wouldn’t advise disconnecting the battery as you won’t have an active alarm and this will almost certainly invalidate any insurance claim for theft.
I'm inclined to agree, notwithstanding that a disconnected battery is a pretty efficient immobiliser, it could cause all sorts of gremlins further down the line when the battery is re-connected. There's a setting in VCDS for "transport mode" or something similar, that activates a relay, not sure what this does, but it might disconnect all the non-essential consumers.

no mate. on my list ;)

Have dash cam and tracker. Just came back from a week away and it wouldn't start at the airport. Luckily I keep a power pack in the van which always jumps it easily enough.
If you've regularly got the starter to the level you need a jump start you'll be damaging the plates in it, especially damaging in a starter type battery as it needs a large set of tightly packed plates to generate the Cold Cranking Amps.

A tracker and dash cam even in parking mode is probably drawing about 0.5 amp so will use 12Ah of capacity every day. With a minimal 75Ah starter you'll be at the 50% recharge needed level in about 3 days.

If you need to replace that with solar assuming 8 hours of good light you'll need 1.5 to 2 amps of charging current, so average 25-30 watts for those 8 hours.

Last edited:
Actually you're right, @Salty Spuds it's using 24Ah a day at an amp average draw. I originally ran the figures at 0.5amp but then noticed a tracker and a dash cam - so it's likely more.

Back