ABS warning light - what did I do?

Merve

Hi all. I wonder if anybody out there could advise. I've recently installed a diesel heater under the drivers seat. This entailed taking the seat out. There was a plug underneath/attached to the seat which I disconnected. Installed the heater and decided to test it before putting the seat back. Everything worked fine. Upon re-installing the seat and plugging it back in the ABS warning light came on. It seems this is a common problem if the seat is disconnected and the ignition is switched on. It would appear to be something to do with the seatbelt. Seems a re-set is all that’s needed and using a friends Carista, plugged it in, ran a diagnostic sweep - and it came back with an error code - 9438737 and the message “Igniter for seat belt tensioner: drivers side short to ground.” Tried to reset but to no avail. Said error cleared but fault still present. Removed the seat checked (visually) the wiring and plug - couldn’t see anything. Re-assembled, ran diagnostics same error message and no joy trying to clear it. Has anybody any idea what could be the cause of the warning light staying lit. Thank you for any and all advice - regards

Driver's seatbelt tensioner is not in the seat, it's in the belt roller in the B pillar. Have you damaged the cable to it whilst working on the floor under the seat? Remember that the tensioner is a pyrotechnic device and is dangerous if not handled correctly!! That's both physically or electrically.

hi - I don’t think I damaged any cables but I did thread the heater control wires from the heating unit to the control panel along the base of the B pillar - I may have disturbed something. Me thinks it may be best to ask a garage to take a look. cheers.

Back