About to buy - need advice about dogs!

Two crates for six dogs isnt a good idea, they need separating. If theres a kickoff whilst you're driving its too much of a distraction.
The dogs will be stressed and it wont take much of a trigger, then you'll get redirects with ketchup everywhere and the associated vet bills.
Its more difficult to safely remove one dog from a shared crate, individual crating is much safer all round.
Also camper fixings are very easily damaged, and this is a brand new conversion? honestly, this is a really bad idea.
Are these your own dogs? If not, are the owners aware of you crating theirs with others, whose temperaments are unknown?
Are you licensed for daycare and home boarding? Sorry to be negative, I'm concerned mainly for the dogs welfare but also for the van :)
Cheers
Phil
Yes I’m all insured and legal. It’s a small business and I only have dogs together that get on. At the moment I manage them all in a Skoda Roomster. It’s not like I travel a lot with several dogs. Maybe just to take them to a beach for a nice adventure. I think carefully about who goes with who and there are definitely some dogs that need to be on their own. This is not a free-for-all dog crèche. If there was any risk of stressed or triggered dogs, I wouldn’t be putting them in my van at all. The dogs welfare and happiness is my priority. I guarantee they enjoy themselves.

34B66ECB-FCC5-45C9-B308-A58669CE7887.jpeg

8CB8D81C-033F-496E-93AD-010A983284F1.jpeg

Yes I’m all insured and legal. It’s a small business and I only have dogs together that get on. At the moment I manage them all in a Skoda Roomster. It’s not like I travel a lot with several dogs. Maybe just to take them to a beach for a nice adventure. I think carefully about who goes with who and there are definitely some dogs that need to be on their own. This is not a free-for-all dog crèche. If there was any risk of stressed or triggered dogs, I wouldn’t be putting them in my van at all. The dogs welfare and happiness is my priority. I guarantee they enjoy themselves.

View attachment 114187

View attachment 114188
Not trying to sound negative but do you have a tailgate guard to prevent egress in the event of your car being rear ended or one of them escaping? As you will be aware dogs are independent creatures capable of making decision based on their instincts. A cat, pheasant etc would be a good fun chase for a dog when that boot lid is lifted!
I'm an ex-police dog handler so have a little expertise in this subject......

Ok sorry to disagree but you did ask for ''advice about dogs'
About to buy - need advice about dogs!
I’m about to commit to a new, converted T6. I will use it as my daily vehicle and will need to be able to carry up to 6 dogs...
and as a frequent dog transporter/boarding kennels owner I thought I should advise against it, of course its your van, your call :thumbsup:
We have a dedicated and properly fitted out dog van, its was previously owned by HM Prisons dog handlers, with very sturdy and lockable enclosures.
Ours came from the "Dog Van Man" in Gainsboro, highly recommended, I think this is him: ex police,dog van,ford smax 2.0 tdci estate 2 cages security unit 2013...1 owner | eBay

Just to clarify,
Yes I’m all insured and legal.
... but are you licensed? Home boarding or Daycare requires a license under the Animal Welfare Act. If you have an accident at home or whilst transporting dogs, ie a business related journey, you could be in serious bother if unlicensed :thumbsup:

... do you have a tailgate guard to prevent egress in the event of your car being rear ended or one of them escaping?...
Also without a tailgate guard, the dogs will need manually restraining as the tailgate is lifted... just a few inches and they will want out before you can duck under it to restrain them, especially with several in one section. Sorry again but this should be done properly for the dogs sake :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Not trying to sound negative but do you have a tailgate guard to prevent egress in the event of your car being rear ended or one of them escaping? As you will be aware dogs are independent creatures capable of making decision based on their instincts. A cat, pheasant etc would be a good fun chase for a dog when that boot lid is lifted!
I'm an ex-police dog handler so have a little expertise in this subject......
Completely off topic, but this reminds me of an uncle who was a dog handler and some of the funny incidents, although maybe not at the time, that happened at some of the shows he did.

Two crates for six dogs isnt a good idea, they need separating. If theres a kickoff whilst you're driving its too much of a distraction.
The dogs will be stressed and it wont take much of a trigger, then you'll get redirects with ketchup everywhere and the associated vet bills.
Its more difficult to safely remove one dog from a shared crate, individual crating is much safer all round.
Also camper fixings are very easily damaged, and this is a brand new conversion? honestly, this is a really bad idea.
Are these your own dogs? If not, are the owners aware of you crating theirs with others, whose temperaments are unknown?
Are you licensed for daycare and home boarding? Sorry to be negative, I'm concerned mainly for the dogs welfare but also for the van :)
Cheers
Phil

I have Unwin rails fitted on the floor and on the sides (under the cloth flap) these could easily secure travelling cages, and provide lots of options?

3265619D-E7CB-44A3-AF6B-47C4702699DD.jpeg

Ok sorry to disagree but you did ask for ''advice about dogs'

and as a frequent dog transporter/boarding kennels owner I thought I should advise against it, of course its your van, your call :thumbsup:
We have a dedicated and properly fitted out dog van, its was previously owned by HM Prisons dog handlers, with very sturdy and lockable enclosures.
Ours came from the "Dog Van Man" in Gainsboro, highly recommended, I think this is him: ex police,dog van,ford smax 2.0 tdci estate 2 cages security unit 2013...1 owner | eBay

Just to clarify, ... but are you licensed? Home boarding or Daycare requires a license under the Animal Welfare Act. If you have an accident at home or whilst transporting dogs, ie a business related journey, you could be in serious bother if unlicensed :thumbsup:

Also without a tailgate guard, the dogs will need manually restraining as the tailgate is lifted... just a few inches and they will want out before you can duck under it to restrain them, especially with several in one section. Sorry again but this should be done properly for the dogs sake :thumbsup:
I was looking for advice about my camper not to be questioned on how I run my VERY SMALL business.

I was looking for advice about my camper not to be questioned on how I run my VERY SMALL business.
I don’t think anyone is questioning how you run your VERY SMALL business, read it again. I too run a very small business, complying with various legislation etc and I would be most grateful if someone gave me free advice to avoid falling foul of the authorities. Best wishes

The most important thing here is the safety and the welfare of the dogs.... this is obviously why @Janni23 posted in the first place and also why the experienced dog handlers in previous posts have raised concerns.

I would speak to whoever is converting your T6 and tell them about your requirements with the dogs.... if they’re a good converter they should be able to offer up some suggestions and ideas.

Back