About to buy - need advice about dogs!

Janni23

I’m about to commit to a new, converted T6. I will use it as my daily vehicle and will need to be able to carry up to 6 dogs. Obviously I can use fixings on the seats but does anyone have any tips for securing crates that I can also take out easily? Thanks.

I’m about to commit to a new, converted T6. I will use it as my daily vehicle and will need to be able to carry up to 6 dogs. Obviously I can use fixings on the seats but does anyone have any tips for securing crates that I can also take out easily? Thanks.
You should have the usual lashing points on the floor.... you can always ratchet strap the crate/crates down. Is it a Kombi, SWB/LWB??

I would go for a modular system, ie 6 separate crates. A purpose built 6 cage system is going to be a 2 person removal operation.
Are you a dog Walker?

I would seriously consider getting a circa £500 estate car or very cheap light commercial van.
No way I’d have dogs in my campervan, it’s hard enough to keep in good condition with two moderately trained humans.

I think I’d opt for the tailgate 4 bike rack and some bungy cords, the turbulence behind the van would shed off all the loose hair.

Omg the dog vans at work you can literally taste dog in the air,
This Is my favourite dog ( I can’t actually say what my favourite type of dog is it upsets my misses)

image.jpg

Six dogs will soon wreck your van, I think you need another idea.
Our family business is a boarding kennels, I move a lot of dogs so I do know :)
Even my own dogs aren't allowed near the camper!
Even in a LWB I doubt you'd get 6 crates in the centre bay.
Cheers
Phil

I would go for a modular system, ie 6 separate crates. A purpose built 6 cage system is going to be a 2 person removal operation.
Are you a dog Walker?
Yes, I do mostly day care and home boarding but only on a part-time basis. Mostly it’s just my own 2 medium sized,non moulting dogs. My car stays pretty good.

Six dogs will soon wreck your van, I think you need another idea.
Our family business is a boarding kennels, I move a lot of dogs so I do know :)
Even my own dogs aren't allowed near the camper!
Even in a LWB I doubt you'd get 6 crates in the centre bay.
Cheers
Phil
They don’t need a crate each! 6 dogs would be very rare. Often 2, 3 or 4. Only my 2 non-moulting dogs when I’m travelling any distance.

Two crates for six dogs isnt a good idea, they need separating. If theres a kickoff whilst you're driving its too much of a distraction.
The dogs will be stressed and it wont take much of a trigger, then you'll get redirects with ketchup everywhere and the associated vet bills.
Its more difficult to safely remove one dog from a shared crate, individual crating is much safer all round.
Also camper fixings are very easily damaged, and this is a brand new conversion? honestly, this is a really bad idea.
Are these your own dogs? If not, are the owners aware of you crating theirs with others, whose temperaments are unknown?
Are you licensed for daycare and home boarding? Sorry to be negative, I'm concerned mainly for the dogs welfare but also for the van :)
Cheers
Phil

Last edited by a moderator:
Daycare, I thought they slept all day?
There are plenty of humans that need daycare and aren’t getting it.

Back