A very close shave.....

I took my IAM motorcycle test something over 20 years ago. Trained to pass by a retired Fire chief and tested by a retired Police officer. I passed but was criticised for not making an overtake, in other words reducing my speed and my risk to suit my 1976 500cc motorcycle.
I could never accept the ‘making progress’ mantra of the IAM. I am still keep my membership active but otherwise play no part in it. I always seek to put safety first, plan to go and prepare to stop.

One of the things I don’t understand is when someone else does something wrong, they are aggressive towards you? If I make a mistake I’ll hold my hand up and mouth sorry. I tend to reflect on near misses (at blame or not) to see if I could have done anything differently / better.
In my opinion the aggression can only be a mask for their embarrassment.

Better still from the dashcam. The camera is located centre of the screen so shows how far I had to pull over into the verge. Captures index well.
If someone can tell me how to post the video, I'll post it. Currently file is 'too big'.

Screenshot_20220315-214522_Photos.jpg

We have made contact with the 2 lads in the following van who are more than willing to give statements about this incident. Northumbria Police have made a telephone appointment promptly too.

Better still from the dashcam. The camera is located centre of the screen so shows how far I had to pull over into the verge. Captures index well.
If someone can tell me how to post the video, I'll post it. Currently file is 'too big'.

View attachment 149326
You have to post it on youtube or vimeo and then link it here.

View attachment 149326
I wouldn’t post the clip until any proceedings have been completed - why gift the knob an escape route of “prejudice”?!!

I took my IAM motorcycle test something over 20 years ago. Trained to pass by a retired Fire chief and tested by a retired Police officer. I passed but was criticised for not making an overtake, in other words reducing my speed and my risk to suit my 1976 500cc motorcycle.
I could never accept the ‘making progress’ mantra of the IAM. I am still keep my membership active but otherwise play no part in it. I always seek to put safety first, plan to go and prepare to stop.
I can understand your view.
Police trainers were training Officers for the real world of responding to emergencies and pursuing stolen vehicles, the emphasis on making progress was justified and necessary. Failing to make enough progress safely, i.e. when the opportunity presented itself, was a fail when I did my course. Obviously the Police driver training was based on the theory that if you can drive at speed safely then you can carry out normal non emergency driving safely.
Perhaps the retired Police Officer who was your examiner was forgetting you weren't on a BMW 1,000cc machine!
I'm not sure it is the same thing as training a member of the public, I certainly don't grab every overtake that I can, but the hazard perception and planning that becomes ingrained whether on a Police course or an IAM course is very useful.

I wouldn’t post the clip until any proceedings have been completed - why gift the knob an escape route of “prejudice”?!!
I considered that, its not public and the chances of a Beak seeing it is low to negligible unless they are T6forum.com followers.

View attachment 149326

We have made contact with the 2 lads in the following van who are more than willing to give statements about this incident. Northumbria Police have made a telephone appointment promptly too.
When I need to send lots of photos and video I use WeTransfer. Open their website and after registering you upload all files to them. They then send them on to your recipient. I find it a very useful service as my email will allow no more than 25mbs but they will send 2gbs onward for free. For massive amounts of data WeTransfer pro will send 200gbs

I can understand your view.
Police trainers were training Officers for the real world of responding to emergencies and pursuing stolen vehicles, the emphasis on making progress was justified and necessary. Failing to make enough progress safely, i.e. when the opportunity presented itself, was a fail when I did my course. Obviously the Police driver training was based on the theory that if you can drive at speed safely then you can carry out normal non emergency driving safely.
Perhaps the retired Police Officer who was your examiner was forgetting you weren't on a BMW 1,000cc machine!
I'm not sure it is the same thing as training a member of the public, I certainly don't grab every overtake that I can, but the hazard perception and planning that becomes ingrained whether on a Police course or an IAM course is very useful.
The first time I got behind the wheel of a Volvo T5 on my advanced course I floored it as soon as I could. The instructor calmly looked at me and said "the wife's expecting me home for tea". I carried on flooring it, he then asked what I was doing. I simply said, "having a blast" to which he replied, "slow down and I will teach you to blast safely". I agree the main emphasis was on hazard perception and "expecting the unexpected". In Lancashire they drummed in the three "Ps" of police driving i.e Planning, Polish and Progress - easy to say but not always easy to do especially when in your own vehicle (or an unmarked police vehicle).

If you do submit it, then you'll need to take it off t'internet. I wouldn't hold out too much hope of any action being taken. This image is a still from my front facing camera of me on my bike at ~25 mph going downhill. Didn't hear a thing from Derbyshire Police
DRSXQ-Ldo1PA6gq9UUsibc_RtBeuUdRh_rRQw3EcRqo-2048x1536.jpg

Back