6.1 Immobiliser/Battery Short Carista Codes

I've got a similar power loss issue with my 2021 T6.1, 110KW, engine code DNNA, 6 speed manual.
Although no warning lights are flickering when driving.

When the normal sort of diesel engine rustling/rattling noise that usually happens at certain light throttle under 2000rpm stops happening the engine also becomes flat and unresponsive as if the turbo is blocked.
When the noise starts again normal power resumes. (This sometimes lasts a few hundred miles between episodes)

I suspected the EGR(s) and was going to buy a Carista until I read this thread and noted it was unable to detect the problem.

Please post if you manage to resolve your problem or can offer advice, otherwise I may be forced to visit a VW main stealer.
Hi Skoti, apologies for the late reply. For some reason I didn't get the notification.
Hope you got sorted.

For the benefit of future readers I have taken the van for a long journey and before turning off the ignition ran the Carista. It's coming up with engine fault code 43458 - torque management system - engine shutdown.. finally getting somewhere on the diagnosis.

I googled the code and not a lot came up but what did come up on another forum was that someone had the same code show up and turned out to be a faulty oil temperature sensor, where temperatures were showing extremely high and causing the engine to shutdown. I then checked my own oil temp (which I've never thought to do) and it was sat at 144 degrees after an hours drive with no towing sat at 70 (standard conversion but nothing else), whilst water temps are fine.

Next steps is to take it in to VW, to check whether its the sensor, the oil pump or something else that's causing such high temps.

Will post an update once I have one.

Has anyone else experienced those kind of temperatures?

20240120_151102.jpg

Hi Skoti, apologies for the late reply. For some reason I didn't get the notification.
Hope you got sorted.

For the benefit of future readers I have taken the van for a long journey and before turning off the ignition ran the Carista. It's coming up with engine fault code 43458 - torque management system - engine shutdown.. finally getting somewhere on the diagnosis.

I googled the code and not a lot came up but what did come up on another forum was that someone had the same code show up and turned out to be a faulty oil temperature sensor, where temperatures were showing extremely high and causing the engine to shutdown. I then checked my own oil temp (which I've never thought to do) and it was sat at 144 degrees after an hours drive with no towing sat at 70 (standard conversion but nothing else), whilst water temps are fine.

Next steps is to take it in to VW, to check whether its the sensor, the oil pump or something else that's causing such high temps.

Will post an update once I have one.

Has anyone else experienced those kind of temperatures?

View attachment 226325
Hi David,
Thanks for responding.
Will check my oil temp, but not sure what the normal acceptable running temp should be.
Anyhow please post if you get a result from your VW dealer.

Good luck

Skoti

Hi David,
Thanks for responding.
Will check my oil temp, but not sure what the normal acceptable running temp should be.
Anyhow please post if you get a result from your VW dealer.

Good luck

Skoti
Thanks Skoti, I haven't found a definitive answer. I've heard of temps getting up to 110 whilst towing a caravan, but nowhere near 144. Hoping its just a faulty sensor and not actually running at such a high temp.

Not a T6.1 but close relative. Corroded pins in the sensor plug. Does your van have engine undertray?
I've heard of temps getting up to 110 whilst towing a caravan,
Under normal/light engine load the oil temperature should more or less follow the coolant temperature as the majority of oil flows through engine block. However, as the pistons are oil cooled under heavy loads (and DPF regeneration) slightly higher oil temperatures (than coolant) will be observed - hot oil from the pistons dripping into the sump.

Not a T6.1 but close relative. Corroded pins in the sensor plug. Does your van have engine undertray?

Under normal/light engine load the oil temperature should more or less follow the coolant temperature as the majority of oil flows through engine block. However, as the pistons are oil cooled under heavy loads (and DPF regeneration) slightly higher oil temperatures (than coolant) will be observed - hot oil from the pistons dripping into the sump.
Thanks mmi, that's the only info I could find online but seems relevant given the high temps I'm also experiencing. Would you expect a 110bhp t6.1 to comfortably run at 70 with a standard conversion, without seeing oil temps rise to that degree? Could the issue be linked to a DPH regeneration fault if that does cause spikes in oil temp?

I'm not sure if the van does have an undertray, is it a factory component on a T6.1 startline with business pack?

Reactions: mmi

Could be a daft question but could I not remove the dip stick whilst the engine is hot and check the temperature using a heat gun I have, to see whether the sensor is showing a false reading?

Would you expect a 110bhp t6.1 to comfortably run at 70 with a standard conversion, without seeing oil temps rise to that degree?
I would expect the temperature to be no more than 105 °C with DPF regeneration going on - normally somewhere 85...95 °C - or course somewhat depending on ambient temperature as air flow is cooling down the oil pan.

I'm not sure if the van does have an undertray, is it a factory component on a T6.1 startline with business pack?
I don't know how it's in the UK - these little things seem to be country specific equipment. Anyways, easy to check by bending over and having a peek under engine.

Some of as even have received insulated oil pans (specified by the local HQ)

Could be a daft question but could I not remove the dip stick whilst the engine is hot and check the temperature using a heat gun I have, to see whether the sensor is showing a false reading?
I'm afraid it won't work through dipstick - oil is too far away and actually even "behind a corner". However, if you could reach to the side/bottom of the oil pan - through front right wheel well perhaps?

Of course a proper diagnostic tool, e.g. VCDS, would read raw data from the sensor itself. The reading on dash is heavily filtered thus not showing rapid changes which now presumably falsify the reading.

Thanks Skoti, I haven't found a definitive answer. I've heard of temps getting up to 110 whilst towing a caravan, but nowhere near 144. Hoping its just a faulty sensor and not actually running at such a high temp.
Oil temp running at a steady 100-105c, so all seems ok.
But still suffering a performance deficit on inclines along with increased fuel consumption.

Out of interest what is the normal T6.1 150hp fuel consumption figure at idle speed?
Mine's shows 0.8 litres per hour. (With A/C etc switched off).

Any further progress on your oil temp issue?

Yes you can, this used to be the method used by MOT stations prior to carrying out a smoke emission test.
Your local MOT garage may still have a hand held temp probe for this purpose.

By way of update I've finally managed to get the van booked in to VW and they have identified that it is the oil level sensor that was causing the issue (incorrectly reporting high oil temp). I can only assume its a dual sensor for level and temp.

No issues with warranty and replaced without challenge. Will report back once I've had chance to test it out on a long run and see if it has resolved the issue.

Back