6.1 Immobiliser/Battery Short Carista Codes

DavidWNE

Evening everyone,

In desperate need of some advice on what could be causing two electrical error codes showing on my 2021 T6.1. I initially plugged in the Carista as I have a persistent engine issue that's causing intermittent power issues (though nothing is showing on the Carista).

I want to take the van in to the main dealer to sort out the engine issue before it turns 3, but keen to resolve these two electrical codes beforehand, as I don't want them to have an excuse to blame the conversion and void the warranty when I'm confident they're unrelated.

The two fault codes are:

134410 - activation of the second battery: Open circuit / short circuit to B+

263442 - Sirens/alarm horn for anti theft warning system: No release by immobiliser

I've tried resetting these and they show again immediately after the ignition is turned on again.

Any advice as to what could be causing these would be massively appreciated, I have searched the Internet but not found anything definitive.

Cheers,
David

Screenshot_20231001_180153_Carista.jpg

The B+ code, have you got a second battery fitted?

What's the van spec?

Do you have a dc-dc charger fitted?

The immobilizer code,

So you have the factory alarm fitted?

Do you have a third party immobilizer fitted....
A ghost maybe?

The B+ code, have you got a second battery fitted?

What's the van spec?

Do you have a dc-dc charger fitted?
I have a factory fitted leisure battery and installed a Redarc DC-DC which seems to be working as it should. If there was a short circuit causing the error would it not blow a fuse?

The van is T28 Startline with Business Pack.

Thanks!

The immobilizer code,

So you have the factory alarm fitted?

Do you have a third party immobilizer fitted....
A ghost maybe?

Thats right, I haven't touched the factory alarm system but I do have a Ghost system. Could that be causing the immobiliser issue? Should I put it in service mode, reset the code and see if it reappears?

I have a factory fitted leisure battery and installed a Redarc DC-DC

I guess it's because the energy management doesn't see "proper" behaviour of the second battery.

I would try changing status of second battery to "not installed" as below (in central electrics adaptations):

MAS01490-ENG142037-Energy management-Zweitbatterienot installed

However, Carista probably can't do it. VCDS, OBDeleven or VW ODIS will do.

I guess it's because the energy management doesn't see "proper" behaviour of the second battery.

I would try changing status of second battery to "not installed" as below (in central electrics adaptations):

That makes sense thank you! Is there anything similar I can do with the immobiliser issue?

Would you recomend making this change myself now or leave it until after VW look at the engine issue (I.e. could making changes to the system myself flag when they plug it in and void warranty?).

Really appreciate the help.

Reactions: mmi
That makes sense thank you! Is there anything similar I can do with the immobiliser issue?
Ghost system. Could that be causing the immobiliser issue? Should I put it in service mode, reset the code and see if it reappears?
I don't know if the immobilizer can be tweaked - never looked into it. I would try to isolate the Ghost - probably worth trying what you proposed.

Would you recomend making this change myself now or leave it until after VW look at the engine issue (I.e. could making changes to the system myself flag when they plug it in
The van doesn't flag that adaptations have been altered. Personally I would try the change to see if it resolves the issue - that would be then one fault less to derail the garage's investigations.

Just curious - what's the engine issue?

I don't know if the immobilizer can be tweaked - never looked into it. I would try to isolate the Ghost - probably worth trying what you proposed.

The van doesn't flag that adaptations have been altered. Personally I would try the change to see if it resolves the issue - that would be then one fault less to derail the garage's investigations.

Just curious - what's the engine issue?

OK sounds like making the adaption before taking it in is the way forward! I'll try the ghost valet mode tomorrow.

So the van runs fine day to day when only being used for journeys of up to 10 or so miles, on longer journeys when I accelerate the engine warning light flickers and there's a drop in power, almost as if the turbo isn't working.. it's very flat. This happens intermittently throughout the rest of the journey. Once left overnight the van is fine again the next day. It only kicks in when accelerating and especially if I'm going up hill or running at low RPM and try accelerating.

Doubt this is any indication but after the warning light has shown, the cruise control doesn't work and shows as an error message on the dash (cruise logo with exclamation mark through it from memory).

I put it down to the DPF but I've had it on plenty of high RPM long journeys and still no joy.

So the van runs fine day to day when only being used for journeys of up to 10 or so miles, on longer journeys when I accelerate the engine warning light flickers and there's a drop in power, almost as if the turbo isn't working.. it's very flat. This happens intermittently throughout the rest of the journey. Once left overnight the van is fine again the next day. It only kicks in when accelerating and especially if I'm going up hill or running at low RPM and try accelerating.
engine issue that's causing intermittent power issues (though nothing is showing on the Carista).
Well, that's intriguing (sorry, for you surely not). Sounds like as soon as something has warmed up it starts playing. And, no fault codes stored in engine - that's strange. Have you tried to read the codes without turning engine/ignition off - engine still running after the hickup.

By the way, what's the engine code (on sticker under dash, something like CXFA, CXEC, DNAA, DNAB, DMZA)?

Doubt this is any indication but after the warning light has shown, the cruise control doesn't work and shows as an error message on the dash (cruise logo with exclamation mark through it from memory).
More likely just a consequence.

I put it down to the DPF but I've had it on plenty of high RPM long journeys and still no joy.
I wouldn't think the DPF as a suspect.

Meanwhile, have a read here:

Well, that's intriguing (sorry, for you surely not). Sounds like as soon as something has warmed up it starts playing. And, no fault codes stored in engine - that's strange. Have you tried to read the codes without turning engine/ignition off - engine still running after the hickup.

By the way, what's the engine code (on sticker under dash, something like CXFA, CXEC, DNAA, DNAB, DMZA)?

I've put the Ghost in valet mode, cleared the computer, restarted the engine and the error hasn't returned.. happy days.
i Will run the van for a few days but that may do the trick for the immobiliser fault code!

Now I just need to find someone in teesside who can make the adaption for the leisure battery fault code likely caused by the redarc. Would a typical garage offer this service? Though it might well be as cheap to buy an OBD11..

Do you think the engine problem could be the EGR valve, with it being only once the engine is warmed up?

The engine doesn't cut out, I can still accelerate but at a fraction of the speed I would normally.

So the engine is DNAB?
It's a manual 110 BHP startline.

I'll take the van for a good run out tomorrow to get the fault flashing again and run an OBD scan before turning off the ignition. (Didn't realise you could do that!).
Cheers!

Would a typical garage offer this service? Though it might well be as cheap to buy an OBD11..
Might want to consider even VCDS - it's just one-time investment vs. OBD11 with yearly payments.

Do you think the engine problem could be the EGR valve, with it being only once the engine is warmed up?
So the engine is DNAB?

I wouldn't expect EGR-valves to affect that much to performance - after all they only reduce emissions by recirculating only a portion of exhaust gases.

However, as this engine seems to have three (3) EGR valves and one control flap in the exhaust anything is possible - I guess.
For DNAA engine (little brother of DNAB) VCDS blockmap data contains references to EGR valve 1, EGR valve 2, EGR valve 3 which all seem to be alive when engine is running (I don't have the data from DNAB but more than likely it's identical)
Code:
Exhaust recirculation valve 1 bank 1: activation
Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Specified value
Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value

Exhaust recirculation valve 2 bank 1: activation
Exhaust recirc.valve 2 bank 1: posit.feedback - Specified value
Exhaust recirc.valve 2 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value

EGR Valve 3 activation
EGR Valve 3: position feedback - actual value
EGR Valve 3: position feedback - target value

Exhaust flap actuator 1: B1: inlet pressure - specified value
Exhaust flap actuator 1: B1: inlet pressure - actual value calculated

Evening mmi, quick question on the adaption. I've seen on other forums people changing this to 'installed' so that the DC-DC has an engine running signal (when retrofitting a leisure battery). Will this not be an issue for my DC-DC functionality if I turn it off?

Cheers, David

Might want to consider even VCDS - it's just one-time investment vs. OBD11 with yearly payments.

I wouldn't expect EGR-valves to affect that much to performance - after all they only reduce emissions by recirculating only a portion of exhaust gases.

However, as this engine seems to have three (3) EGR valves and one control flap in the exhaust anything is possible - I guess.

Code:
Exhaust recirculation valve 1 bank 1: activation
Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Specified value
Exhaust recirc.valve 1 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value

Exhaust recirculation valve 2 bank 1: activation
Exhaust recirc.valve 2 bank 1: posit.feedback - Specified value
Exhaust recirc.valve 2 bank 1: posit.feedback - Actual value

EGR Valve 3 activation
EGR Valve 3: position feedback - actual value
EGR Valve 3: position feedback - target value

Exhaust flap actuator 1: B1: inlet pressure - specified value
Exhaust flap actuator 1: B1: inlet pressure - actual value calculated

3 EGRs! I initially thought it would be unlikely to be an EGR as its the orange coil that flashes (glow plug light) when the engine power drops, however having read into the symptoms of a bad EGR it can be a loss in power up hill, which is certainly the case with mine, and also a rough idle which I have noticed sometimes now I've read it!

on other forums people changing this to 'installed' so that the DC-DC has an engine running signal (when retrofitting a leisure battery).
Any link to a such reference?
Will this not be an issue for my DC-DC functionality if I turn it off?
That's a good question. Would obviously need some hands-on experimenting.
In the adaptations there indeed is not anything (other) obvious related to second battery configuration.

Any link to a such reference?

That's a good question. Would obviously need some hands-on experimenting.
In the adaptations there indeed is not anything (other) obvious related to second battery configuration.

I may well just need to give it a go and see what happens!

Thanks for the link - that's a good reference. Indeed the adaptation seems to disable the engine running signal.
Perhaps you also could post "Detailed ECU info"-report (under Carista Service menu). Just to tie up loose ends and also as a future reference.
Intrigued by this one - couldn't find anything obvious in wiring diagram which would indicate some smart monitoring of second battery in normal vans (thus the request about ECU-info). Do you have build sheet/option list of your van - I'm expecting to see code 8FB for the second battery (other second battery options would be 8FE or 8FL which presumably bring along more advanced battery monitoring).

A thing that springs to my mind is that possibly T6.1 BCM simply monitors the presense of the battery separating relay (split charge relay) and possibly if the relay was removed by the DC-DC-charger installer that would trigger the fault.

OK sounds like making the adaption before taking it in is the way forward! I'll try the ghost valet mode tomorrow.

I've got a similar power loss issue with my 2021 T6.1, 110KW, engine code DNNA, 6 speed manual.
Although no warning lights are flickering when driving.

When the normal sort of diesel engine rustling/rattling noise that usually happens at certain light throttle under 2000rpm stops happening the engine also becomes flat and unresponsive as if the turbo is blocked.
When the noise starts again normal power resumes. (This sometimes lasts a few hundred miles between episodes)

I suspected the EGR(s) and was going to buy a Carista until I read this thread and noted it was unable to detect the problem.

Please post if you manage to resolve your problem or can offer advice, otherwise I may be forced to visit a VW main stealer.

Back