5 shift working

BAZT6

VIP Member
T6 Pro
Gents
Does anyone on here work to a 5 shift pattern? This is 7/24 hour working with 5 people to cover. I am trying to find examples of the shift patterns that anyone uses. Plenty of companies online willing to sell you examples of the shift pattern but I thought i would ask on here.

Cheers Baz

I'm not sure I understand the question, but why would anyone buy an example of a shift pattern?
Surely it's just a case of mathematics?

It is mathematics, but it also comes down to what the HSE allow regarding occupational health, and also the persons circadian rhythms , don't ask me to explain, google it .

Gents
Does anyone on here work to a 5 shift pattern? This is 7/24 hour working with 5 people to cover. I am trying to find examples of the shift patterns that anyone uses. Plenty of companies online willing to sell you examples of the shift pattern but I thought i would ask on here.

Cheers Baz
We did, but our company went back to 4 Shifts, It meant they could get rid of a full Shift of people. We worked 7 x 12hr days, 7 x Off , 7 x Nights , 14 Off, and no Holidays.

We are now 7 on 7 off, and 14 days holiday, and its crap as you don't have enough time to recover from the nights, so we are changing them again !!

Once worked treble 2 pattern.
2 day shift, 2 back shift, 2 night shift, 4 off.

Loved working it. Based on 5 teams of people though, so not sure how you would cover annual leave with just 5 staff.

There are lots of permutations with 5 shift based around how many hours per week you average, I was trying to compare different shift patterns. At the moment we work 12 hour shifts with 4 people and work 14 shifts in 28 days and get every second weekend off, unless we are covering for people on holiday, which we are blackmailed into, if you dont cover them you wont get your holiday! 3 of us are old gits so the need for new blood is becoming apparent, but our tight lot will not employ someone till the very last moment so how they are expected to learn the geography of the site and the job is a problem. 5 shift would cut a lot of the overtime out and go a long way towards paying for the 5th man.
Regards Baz

For many years I work a 5 team shift pattern of 4 on (2 dayshifts / 2 nights) 6 off. Length of shift was 12 hours 51 minutes which included 40 minutes walking and washing time. You had a 10 minute break in the morning followed by 30 minutes for lunch and 30 minutes for dinner. The pattern didn't include any Christmas or New year working.

With this pattern you owed the company 4 shifts which you paid back by covering a colleague's annual holiday block of 4 shifts. ie this made up an annual holiday block of 16 shifts.

Over and above the 4 payback shifts you had a basic 72 flexible holiday hours to use.

Pattern was based on a 37.5 hours working week and had a 5 year cycle. I worked a lot of different patterns over the years however this was by far the best for time off although it was a long shift while at work.

I'm no longer working but have found the shift pattern in one of my folders however it is just for the first 4 years but the 5th year could be easily worked out if needed.

I have attached the file.

Attachments

• 4 on 6 off over 5 years shift pattern.pdf
    196.4 KB · Views: 42
Years 2,3 & 4

Attachments

• 4 on 6 off over 5 years shift pattern - Year 2.pdf
    195.2 KB · Views: 18
  • 4 on 6 off over 5 years shift pattern - Year 3.pdf
    195.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 4 on 6 off over 5 years shift pattern - Year 4.pdf
    194.8 KB · Views: 8
My shift pattern is tough and if like it changed but pleasing 12 people (4 teams of 3) is hard work.

I used to work 4 days on - 12 hrs shift, 7am-7pm(day shift),
then 3 days off,
then back for 4 days on - 12hrs shift, 7pm-7am (night shift)

It was ok, didn't really suffer from the irregular patters, but you do end up working a lot of weekends and being off during the week when no one else is. I'm glad I don't do that anymore!

I use to work 7 on 2 off did days , nights and afternoons all in one week horrible shifts and only one long weekend fri, sat, sun off a month that was over 4 shifts not 5 shift

Don't currently do nights, however do 12hours shifts 4on 4off with a permanent night shift just doing week nights works quite well however the company are looking to do 4days 4off 4nights 4off or doing the Du Pont shift so more shut down hours are covered.

Thanks guys. Sorry I didnt get back earlier. There are so many different shift patterns. At the moment I work Mon 2 X 12hr days 2 off 3 X 12hr nights weekend 2off 2 X 12hr days 3off weekend. Works out 14 shifts in 28 days averages out at 42 hrs per week plus overtime which cuts the turn around down to 24 hrs if you come off of nights then do an extra day. Used to work for a large pharmaceutical and went to a lecture about shift work, woman taking the lecture closed with the line " The only good shift pattern is retirement" She was not Wrong. We are trying to talk our lot into some sort of 5 shift pattern to cut out the overtime.

Cheers Baz

Back