5 Or 6 Or Even Dsg

Mkgolfnutters

VCDS User
VIP Member
Hi everyone, looking into buying a t6 - do I go for the 5 speed or 6 speed? I have a t5 at the min (2.5 with 6 speed).There seems to be more 5 speed than 6 speed on the market.I have seen a few I like in 5-speed format just wondering if the 6 speed gives better fuel economy? Or do I go down the DSG route? The only thing with the DSG is the horrendous cost to replace the clutches when they go? Any help would be great.

Hi everyone, looking into buying a t6 - do I go for the 5 speed or 6 speed? I have a t5 at the min (2.5 with 6 speed).There seems to be more 5 speed than 6 speed on the market.I have seen a few I like in 5-speed format just wondering if the 6 speed gives better fuel economy? Or do I go down the DSG route? The only thing with the DSG is the horrendous cost to replace the clutches when they go? Any help would be great.

Personally if I ever went back to manual, i'd search out 6 speed, for all the obvious reasons, but also a slightly better residual value.

As for the DSG, which I have myself, they are brilliant, silky, reliable and by far the best gearbox i've ever owned, and if the thought of potential issues in the far far future were that much of an issue for me, i'd sell everything and get a bus pass, because many items that 'could' go wrong with any modern vehicle can cost a fortune.
So I just don't think about it, and enjoy my DSG T6.

Welcome to the forum :thumbsup:

DSG for me, on this van and the last.

I'm too lazy for a Manual gearbox now.... they give me knee hurt spending 4-6hrs a day in London traffic.

Never had to do a clutch pack yet.....

But did need a new DMF. Duel mass flywheel. On the last van because it stated rattling in neutral/park. It was working fine but just annoying...

Anyway that was at about 100k miles.

DSG all the way for me, 3 pedals is a thing of the past. I thought whether a manual T6 was 5 or 6 speed was entirely down to the engine output power?

DSG for me too so relaxing to drive, a T6 deserves a dsg gearbox :thumbsup:

My T6 is DSG but I'm currently using a Works Transit Custom which is 6 speed manual. Can't wait to get back in my T6 as changing gears in city driving is a complete PITA.
Would never buy a manual vehicle again unless its for the firm.

Back