30k and steering wheel has no leather?

sipep

VIP Member
T6 Guru
Hi all.

I've purchased a used t6 from VW approved used.

I had only seen videos as they were 300 miles away. I purchased it remotely as I couldn't find anything better for the money due to the fact I have No vat to pay.

Is this normal for 30k? Is there anyway I can check the mileage? It's from VW so I just assumed they will have double checked the mileage.PXL_20230804_141224606.jpg

My wheel isn’t that worn after 50k however during covid my wife was using a lot of hand sanitizer and the wheel in her BMW is absolutely fooked and looks like what you have pictured there

This looks like it was a plasters van before me.. lol maybe he had very rough hands?

Interested to hear diy options for restoring a wheel in the similar condition.

Hi all.

I had only seen videos as they were 300 miles away. I purchased it remotely as I couldn't find anything better for the money due to the fact I have No vat to pay.

Is this normal for 30k? Is there anyway I can check the mileage? It's from VW so I just assumed they will have double checked the mileage.View attachment 208334
I changed my steering wheel at 15,000 miles, near perfect condition. No signs of wear at all, but I do have very soft skin on my hands!!

IMG_1907.jpeg

Last edited:
Should be easy to check miles on the DVLA MOT history page.

But that looks like a wheel that's done 300k, not 30k!

This looks like it was a plasters van before me.. lol maybe he had very rough hands?
Plaster is really harsh. Considering what it does to your hands I’d think the chemical part of it wont do leather much good.
There was a thread on here a while ago where someone had used one of the steering wheel refinishing kits to great effect one a wheel like that.

Plaster is really harsh. Considering what it does to your hands I’d think the chemical part of it wont do leather much good.
There was a thread on here a while ago where someone had used one of the steering wheel refinishing kits to great effect one a wheel like that.
Found this one.

I used a Nuera leather dye kit from ebay to refurb a second hand leather gear knob over a year ago and its still looking good.

Hi, it's a 2017, 2 owners, it's just a panel van, the inside suggestions plaster or painter?PXL_20230804_161822529.jpgPXL_20230804_161752149.jpg

Hi all.

Is this normal for 30k? Is there anyway I can check the mileage? It's from VW so I just assumed they will have double checked the mileage.View attachment 208334
hi what year the van is it crew van

If an x painters van, then definitely the wheel will have taken a hammering, probably been wiped down with white spirit a few times, which will destroy the surface

I’m a builder(don’t use my van for work) rough hands my wheels has been on less than 10k and it’s worn like that I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

I do have a startline plastic wheel going free! Only used for about 5k miles but no buttons! My office boy hands are unlikely to damage the leather on its replacement!!

I'd probably want another similar one (highline ?) With the buttons

Back