2nd Night in the van Issues: alarm and curtains!

Spencer54

T6 Pro
Looking for some ideas or recommendations here.

So, first night spent in the van was OK, it was on a campsite right on the coast.

2nd night was this weekend stealth camping while mates used the hotel, they were fresh as daisies in the morning I was a wreck.
Couple of things ruined my nights sleep, one was the fact the van alarm kept going off - but my mate has told me I can turn off the internal sensors via the button on the pillar.

Next was the amount of light that lit up the cab, although I parked in a dark spot some spotlights went on and I felt like id been under SAS interrogation for eight hours.
I had hoped the Shuttles built in blinds would be enough alongside limo tints but not.
So is there an option or a way of changing the standard blinds to black out somehow and not just holey material.

Next I need a way of a fitting blind on the rear door, cab divider, and when not in stealth mode the front windows.

Anyone have some ideas?

Hi ....Cant sleep unless it’s totally dark...but try this link :thumbsup:

Did you lock it with the key from inside or button on the drivers door? I remember locking SWMBO & kids in my old car (Skoda) using the key button and they set the alarm off every few minutes while I was on my errand and couldn’t get out either.

After that SWMBO just pressed the lock button on the door if she wanted to be secure and no alarm issues.

Ian

I didn't want to do anything permanent, my temporary solution is ugly but very effective

I have an extendible mop handle, modified the end a little, and it sits in the coat hooks by both sliding doors. Blackout material draped over the top gives me a very dark inside but enough space at the top for ventilation - I leave the front windows open slightly under the wind deflectors, and also have a tailgate standoff

Blackout material and magnets for the side and rear windows. Not pretty but effective and cheap

Anyone got any experience of internal Cab Divider Curtains - Van X have one that looks OK?
We found that the Van X cab divider curtain, which is a single thickness of fabric, is too thin. It lets light through and people’s profiles can easily be seen through it when lights are on in the Leisure area.

We bought a second divider curtain to double the thickness. This makes it fine but in my view it should be supplied as double thickness.

Interesting all their window curtains are double thickness as supplied!

Kiravans do a blackout divider. I wouldn't say it's total blackout but does a pretty good job. Doesn't go all the way down either, so lets some light in that way

If you push the lock button twice on the key fob, this releases the dead-locks and turns off the internal sensors. Ideal for wild camping, just don't forget to unlock before opening a door - that will set the alarm off (and blow your cover).

I bought two of these for £7 and joined together to make double thickness. It is big enough to tuck in along the edge of the upper bed (roof closed) and down the side of the front seats. Mine are grey (currently not available), so just looks like a curtain across the bulkhead.

I wear eye mask the kind that you get on a long plane journey (remember those?). I have clip on cab blinds only in standard kombi and found this to be fine for my occasional campin.

Just lock the van using the lock button on the driver's door. Stops the alarm going off. You can still exit via the side door without the alarm going off too... just remember to relock sidedoor when you get back in.

Not so good for stealth though...
I used something very like the Fuellagoon screen but a plain black one. It may have been their screen cover. I would prefer a more camouflaged version, camo or khaki. It is a pity that the do not make them for the other windows. I also made up my own internal window blinds. I bought something like bubble wrap that is covered on both sides with a silver reflective backing from a hardware store. Very cheap. I think Wiks from memory though other stores have it and its easily available on line. I then cut it to fit all the other windows though I did not get around to the front screen. They fitted perfectly and held up without additional support, the material being reasonably stiff. To make doubly sure, I stuck very small tags of Velcro to the screen corners just in case. The trick is to remove the backing paper stick to the window then place the screen cover or the other way around. Then it will always match up.

What I thought that might be a good idea was to have something like a car cover that perhaps only came down just below the window or even a full length version. This may either pull over the entire vehicle or just perhaps from above the window line where a gutter might one have been. Maybe it could just clip on to a roof rack or rail. Again, in a camo or khaki colour. To make it more user friendly it could have something like Velcro closing, at all the doors, to make easier access. It does not need to be very complicated. This could also double up as a winter screen when at home to keep ice forming for a fast early morning getaway.:D

Rainbow Screens also do internal blinds that stick on with suction pads. Blackout and stop condensation.

Back