235 55 Or 235 65 17 Advice Please

Guy Dawkins

does any one know if 235 65 17 rubs with standard suspension on a t32, happy to use spacers if needed but don't wand to ditch arch liners

Going to out steel powder coated rims on 17 inch.
Advice on either 235 65 17 or 235 55 17
Grabber or latitude cross .
235 55 17 is closer size wise to the 255 45 18 on at the moment but my speedo is running about 3mph slower anyway so the increase in size will negate some of this .

Any views pro cons please

235/65/17 are just too big imo; I ran a similar sized 255/55/18 GG AT on a T5 and the alteration to gearing and drivability is just too much imo, even with a modified 5 cylinder engine.
235/55/17 is stock sized
GG AT are great off road, but on tarmac driving is too compromised imo; wet weather breaking/noise/fuel etc are inferior. But they do have an all season winter rating. 3PMSF and M&S
LATX are a superb summer tyre M&S but no 3PMSF winter rating; this may or may not be an issue to you
I've ran both of the above tyres, albeit my GG AT where an older design.
Unless you are running 2 sets of tyres winter/summer; or need the off-road robustness of an AT; the new All-weather/ All-season tyres are better than both of these imo.
As good off road as the the LATX (Nokian weatherproof SUV); better on road than the GG.
If I was choosing between the two you mentioned, it would be the LATX, I Think:confused:

Going to out steel powder coated rims on 17 inch.
Advice on either 235 65 17 or 235 55 17
Grabber or latitude cross .
235 55 17 is closer size wise to the 255 45 18 on at the moment but my speedo is running about 3mph slower anyway so the increase in size will negate some of this .

Any views pro cons please

Have you read this post:
Speedo Adjustment For Bigger Tyres

Will give you more of an idea about speedo inaccuracy with those tyre sizes.

Thanks for the info
Thi k I will go with 235 55 17 to match the tyre size (255 45 18) I have now .
With reducing from 255 to 235 this should improve drivabulity as less resistance ?

Thanks for the info
Thi k I will go with 235 55 17 to match the tyre size (255 45 18) I have now .
With reducing from 255 to 235 this should improve drivabulity as less resistance ?
You need to look at the rolling resistance of the tyre=Fuel economy. An A or B or C rating are worth checking out.
Another thing to consider is the load rating of the tyre, a tyre which can carry more load, can often be run at a lower tyre pressure more safely = better comfort; the only down side is higher fuel consumption with lower tyre pressures.......ah :confused::confused::confused:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2HY6NrNadaL-cLjaIxLNwfHplFFx4h8mFiLcFnBsKGPFiOwE2yw.png

Back